• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Home Security System

Ebiz

Question

Long story short, I came home two weeks ago to find someone breaking into our house. Our backyard is fenced in and secluded with only one neighbor who can't see in anyways, however it is very obvious from the street that once you go around the garage you could sit back there all day and no one would know.

Fast forward two weeks and we've decided the only way to hopefully avoid this in the future is to get a security system. Have had both Brinks and ADT out to do quotes and am wondering if anyone has had positive/negative experiences or advice regarding these companys.

Here's what I've noticed so far

Brinks Pros:

- System is about half the cost of ADT to install, you don't own the equipment however if you move they install a new system in your new house at no charge.

- If equipment has issues they fix it at no charge

Brinks Cons:

- If you sell your house the new owners would have to use Brinks if they would like to use the system

ADT Pros:

- You own the system and if you sell the home the new owners can use the service of their choice

ADT Cons:

- System costs twice as much as Brinks

- You are responsible for repairs if the equipment breaks outside of warranty

Horse Apiece:

- Both companies require a 3 year agreement

- Monthy monitoring is same price, seems to be of the same quality

- Both would be hardwired systems

Any help would be appreciated, I am leaning towards ADT just because I got a better "feel" from their system and service as well as the fact that we are probably planning on moving in 2 years. However I don't really want to invest twice the money if not necessary.

Thanks in advance and good luck this weekend!

15 answers to this question

I may be able to shed some light on it for you. Some pertinant questions. Do they have LOCAL service techs? Do they have alocal office? I work for a smaller company in Duluth, we have offices throught MN, IA, WI, IL. Its called PERMAR security. We do both hardwired and wireless systems. PLUS we are LOCAL and our monitoring station is in Davenport IA, not Texas or NY. Our monitoring I beleive is less than either of the ones you mentioned. I am not certain were newbrighton is, but I am sure we have a branch somehwere nearby. We offer leased systems as well as outright sales. If we did a leased system, you could take it with oyu and we would relocate it for you provided you stayed in the 4 state area.

I've worked in the security field for along time and after alot of thought i'd go with a dog, buy a good trained dog from a reputable breeder and you won't have trouble, its a proven stat that dog owners don't get robbed as much and its cheaper etc...alarms can be gotten around and the reponce time is usually not good etc....just my thoughts

A security system is only as good as the local law enforcment is. I have installed systems in Chisago Co and Polk Co WI. By the time the law showed up in Chisago on a Thursday night it took 48 minutes. In Polk it was almost an hour. I found a better fix for the guy in Polk, and they caught them, no problems since. Adt and Brinks are not your answere if you live in a rural area.

I read a story about a guy who had a Rottweiler in his shed. One day he looked out his window to see someone crawling through the "door" the dog uses to go in and out. By the time he got outside, it was too late. The "Rottie" had his way with this guy and messed him up pretty bad.

In the end, no charges were filed from either side. Lesson learned:

A well trained dog may be your best bet to deter a thief. If someone wanted in bad enough, even the best dog wouldn't stand much of a chance against a robber with a gun.

The thing is with someone breaking in and a dog is that a dog makes ton a racket barking and growling when a stranger is around and that is the last thing a burglar wants. Wake up the whole darn neighborhood and everyone trying to figure out what all the hub bub is about, but then if we are talking rural....not as much if your neighbors are out of earshot of the noise. But even at that I am sure the noise would spook them.

A good dog and a security system will do the same job, they will make noise to scare the criminal off. The dog will sometimes bark with people in the yard before they get close to the house and that is better. Neither is good at catching criminals. On average it takes 8 min before the police are even contacted and 99% of police departments respond routine with no lights or sirens. Something loud that will scare them away is the best bet!

I have ADT, they ran motion sensors,window and door sensors,it works good if you set it, problem with those is when you go to work,dinner,you forget to set it and it does no good.

I also have 4 night vision cameras installed around the perimiter of my house, focusing on dark areas,boat and vehicles,they are motion sensored and only film when motion is noticed and videos are loaded onto an external hard drive.I love the video system and have nailed 2 kids last summer.a good camera will run about 150.00 each but will have 0 LUX for night vision,and also color pic durring the day.The good part is that you will have pictures of the punks to report to the police or to handle as you feel necessary. you can also watch live from your monitor over the web at work to see what is going on durring the day when your nnot there. FYI.... my 4 camera system,harddrive,software and video card ran about 900.00. Best part is you homeowners rates will drop so it will be free in about a year

I've had the big companies and the small locals, and I'll take a small local company anytime! Try Wright-Hennepin Security, they are in Rockford MN as part of Wright-Hennepin Electric Coop, and the monitoring center is right there. I've had them for 10 years straight, not a single complaint on their install or service. They use GE boxes so it will work with any monitoring service. Its nice to speak to someone local when you have to call, too. I've even stopped in for parts, they've been more than helpful. Its moderately priced, but the service is outstanding.

Thanks to everyone for the information. We've talked about it quite a bit and as much as I would love to get a dog unfortunately my wife & I are gone or out of town quite a bit and it wouldn't make sense or be fair to the dog. I have looked at some of the local companies and I guess at this point I'm leaning towards the big ones just because I guess I have more confidence in their larger infrastructure and experience in the business.

Anyone have any other opinions either way? After thinking about it over the weekend I'm now leaning more towards Brinks being that its' half the cost and they would cover any maintenance or repairs, are there any specific benefits to owning the system over leasing?

Setterguy - shoot me an e-mail and I can give you more information about the location and incident (ebiz308 at yahoodotcom)

E- We used to have Floyd-but they sold out to a bigger co. and we did not like the service and cancelled. Floyd was really decent IMO. We also live in N.B.- whereabouts are you located? You can shoot me an e-mail [email protected]. Wish I had a better idea for you-that must really bite to have that happen-bunch of maggots is what they are.

ADT is the company that had the system in the house out in Lake Elmo where that whacko killed the mom and the boyfriend. The system didn't work and apparently was installed all wrong. There's a lawsuit going now and ADT is trying to pull some legalize from the contract that limits what they have to pay out. No way that I would do business with them. A dog and an 870 is my protection.