• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good rain gear?

Moe Szyslak

I have the Gander Tech20 and it leaked like a sive. I am trying to take it back. Who knows if they will return it or replace it. It is a few years old, but I cannot tell you how bad it leaked.

Gander is really good at standing behind their product. They will take it back for you no problem. Their TecH2O is a complete waste of money in my opinion, they should get rid of it. Frog Toggs I like a lot, Gor-tex is I also like. Rain gear doesn't last for more than 4-5 years so don't expect it to, but i is nice to have a waranty behind it!

If your looking for cheap and very well made buy a set of Frog Togs. They will last for ever and never will allow you to get wet. A set runs under 50 bucks.

They are light weight so not great for warmth.

Question about Frogg Toggs.

I have a pair, but the pants leak through the pockets. You guys who like the Toggs, are you using the bibs, or the pants?

I like them for certain conditions. They are very light weight and great for warm weather rain showers. They also block the wind, yet they breath pretty well. If you need to be warmer a polartec fleece jacket is perfect.

You can get the Togs at Cabela's or just about any name brand store. If you keep you eyes open you can catch a set in the bargain bin at Cabelas. Always buy a size or maybe two bigger than you need. They are not real warm. ( got a little cool on opener in my togs only)

Rain gear doesn't last for more than 4-5 years so don't expect it to, but i is nice to have a waranty behind it!

Come again? What part of the raingear is time-sensitive? If you take care of it, I would think you could get a decade or more out of a nice rain suit.

Anyone else have this short lifespan with their raingear?

Originally Posted By: TonkaBass
Rain gear doesn't last for more than 4-5 years so don't expect it to, but i is nice to have a waranty behind it!

Come again? What part of the raingear is time-sensitive? If you take care of it, I would think you could get a decade or more out of a nice rain suit.

Anyone else have this short lifespan with their raingear?

Some high price rain gear require to rewaterproof ,watever that is. I posted earlier and mentiond that I payed around $80 for just a rain jacket, they were the breathable kind they lost waterproofness after 4 or 5 down poores. So be carefull about these so caled breathable's I dont think they are meant for heavy rains

Gander took back my TecH20 and they gave me a gift card. I am planning on getting their Pro staff rain wear. Does anyone have any experience with it before I spend the extra money. My thought is to by the pro staff jacket and I will get the Guide Wear bibs from Cabela's.

Trophyeyes-

I did that exact thing. I purchased the pro-staff goretex coat at Gander last year when I had a 50% off coupon. It's a nice coat. I've put it to the test a couple of times and stayed dry. I also purchased the Cabela's goretex bibs this spring. I've used them twice in poor conditions and they held up fine.

Nylon is not naturally waterproof so a Durable Water Repellent (DWR) Finish is applied at the factory. This finish needs to be restored every few washings. Sometimes fluffing it in the dryer can restore it. Eventually you will need to pick up a spray-on or wash-in restorative from an outdoor store. As for aging, unless the fabric is well taken care off the breathable layer or the laminate layer eventually breaks down and if the DWR has been worn away the nylon will actually hold water and eventually the water can get through in the same way that moisture vapor escapes. If you store your gortex in a hot boat compartment all the time it will accelerate the breakdown of the clothing.

If you're not fishing in the rain all the time, check out the Cabela's Dry Plus Ultra, it is similar to Marmot's Precip. It is lightweight fairly durable, and quite inexpensive for a breathable fabric. And check out Cabela's or REI's HSOforum for maintaining goretex and other breathable fabrics.