• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good rain gear?

Moe Szyslak

Im looking for a quality set of rain gear: waterproof, lightweight, breathable. Any suggestions? Also, if where to get it? I would like to stay under $100 for the top/bottom set if it aligns with quality.

Most of the "quality" suits are over $100 for a set. I used to by less expensive suits, but in the long run, it's more expensive, IMO. Get the best you can afford.

Originally Posted By: crazyice
I had a great suggestion till I saw that you wanted to stay under $100. For the money the Gander guide series TecH2O is very nice.

Ok, take the budget off the table. And I wont buy from gander mountain unless its on clearance. I am not a fan of their pricing.

cabelas guide wear

i think thats what its called. gortex. cabelas stands behind their products 110%. 5 years from now it starts to leak, bring it back and they give you a new one. gonna run closer to 300$ but the salesman told me its basically gauranteed for life.

I own a set of Carhartts new rainwear. I got mine last year and just love it. It runs about $220 for the jacket and pants, but they are nice. They are waterproof and breathable.

Yepper Guidewear, probably the best thing I have ever bought for fishing! Mine are still keeping me dry after 5+ years of 4 season use. Great stuff. Kinda warm on hot summer rain days is about the only drawback. Layer up in the winter and they keep me toasty on the ice. Spendy but worth it.

There are alot of good choices out there, Just make sure you get bibs, nothing worse than sitting in the boat and the water running off your jacket and right down your pants!

Originally Posted By: mazzilin19
Marmot precip jacket and pants. Mine have survived four trips to Canadian outback. Wash them all the time and haven't had any problems. They too have awesome customer service.

They have non-current styles on sale at campmor. Just do a google search for the HSOforum. Also REI is having their 20% off any one item sale which ends Sunday. They sell them there.

I completely agree with the tech H20 from gander - forget your issue with the Ginader pricing - these H2Os will last, they are so well made and keep the water out - and can also be worn over clothes to just keep you warm on cold windy days. They have lots of pockets and are simply hard to beat.

be carefull of jackets that are waterproof and breathable Ive gotten two seperate kinds, payed 75 to 85 bucks for each. Work great. Then after a 4 0r 5 heavy down pores they lost there waterproofness.Sometimes you dont get what you pay for.

ive become a fan of the frog togs myself

Which Toggs do you have? Mine always leak through the pockets. Do you have the bibs?

After my trip to Texas for a wedding, I do have a new appreciation for the Frogg Toggs jacket. Very light and packable. However I just don't trust the suit on a major fishing trip.

I'm kind of in the same boat. (pun intended :)) I've been looking for a nice set of rain gear that's not going to rip when I walk within 10 feet of a tree limb, but I don't exactly have $300 for something I'll occasionally wear. I did some searching and as I was in the Military, I figured I may as well check out some surplus websites- I found a sweet set of the old camo raingear for real cheap. It's not a insulated jacket by any means, but it's an outer layer that'll keep you dry. Since they switched the Army Camo from the green and black to the new ACUs, there's plenty to be found and for good prices. Even if you pick up a pair for cheap now, you can keep them in your trunk later when you get a nicer pair.

Look in the Cabelas Bargain Cave online. I found some bibs that are from the East German military (or something like that) that are "real" Gore-tex for $20 and so far have worked great. I also got one of the Dry-Plus jackets for about $59, originally something like $129. I was lucky that the jacket and pants are almost identical colors. Not that the fish care. I did get this during the late fall or winter, so in the summer who knows.

Cabela's Guidewear is 2nd to none. Gore-tex breathable and completely waterproof tested. Buying raingear at Cabela's is a no brainer because they have the best warranty in the sporting goods biz. You can get the Guidewear in insulated or uninsulated. I have the uninsulated and they are incredibly warm with a few thin layers underneath!