• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wiring for bow mount

My boat has 8 gauge wiring with a 40amp breaker for the bow mount.

I want to upgrade the wiring to something heavier and put a 50amp breaker in because my Minn Kota PD55 draws more current than 40amps.

What gauge wiring should I use?

Every plug & socket set I've looked at has 8 gauge wires also. Can I just connect my heavier wires to them?

I think you'd be ok with the 8 guage, unless you're running from the back of the boat to the front. Then it's a slightly different story.

If you're really set on upgrading wires I'd go with 6 ga... again, unless you're running from the back to the front... then I'd look at 4 ga.

You can connect the heavier wires to the 8 ga receptacles... but you will encounter some current drop there - at least it's only a short distance.

marine_man

Originally Posted By: marine_man

You can connect the heavier wires to the 8 ga receptacles... but you will encounter some current drop there - at least it's only a short distance.

I'm running from the battery up front, so the distance isn't far.

If I run 6 ga wires to the connector, will the 8 ga wires overheat with the 50 amp breaker?