• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

backing on record

Do I need to put monno backing on the Abu Record?I figure the holes in the spool will prevent line slipping.There isn't a ton of line capacity.I don't want to waste my space with mono.

been fishing now a few weeks with a record and no mono backing, have had no issues whatsoever

Must say I am pleasantly surprised with this reel so far, had to buy it in a bind and it has been impressive thus far

You never mentioned which Record you were asking about so with this in mind, Im going to assume that you're talking about R50, R60, or R60HC

Why bother filling up the whole spool on the reel when you'll probably be using less than 100 yards of the line while fishing...

Basically, you could split a spool of 300yd Superbraid between three Abu Garcia 6500s or two Abu Garcia 7000iC3's providing you put a mono backer...

But then again, using mono as backer/filler depends on individuals' taste...

I always put a little mono on the records. The non High capasity records have very little line capacity but it never hurts to put on a few cranks of mono. If I remember right, the capasity is 60yds of 100 lb, 80 yds of 80 lb and 90-100 of 65Lb Power pro.

You'll love the reel