Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Whisker Trout Slayer

Removing Silicone Caulk

10 posts in this topic

For some reason the previous owner of the boat I have, used what I think is silicone clear caulk to fasten a block of foam and and a block of the pink insulation styrofoam inside the boat. I think it is so he can use it to hook lures on it so they will be handy to switch quickly.

I think they are hideous and want to remove both. Is there any known way to remove the caulk without scraping or ruining the paint? I would think a razor knife would also scrape off the paint as well.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks, I will give that a try.

Otherwise if there is no remover I am basically stuck with it, but will try to shave off as much of it as I can.

There's some stuff called Motsenbacher's Lift Off. It comes in 5 different formulas. One of them is for silicone caulk and great stuff foam. It worked for me when I took out a shower door last year. I got it at Home Depot.

Use the blade lightly to shave off what you can and then a little gas on a rag and rubbing works well.

I quit useing silicon!! even if you remove the bead there's yet the film left that I cant find anything to remove it.With that film NOTHING else will adhere over it! Great stuff but the only product you can use over it is itself.When old it peels off and dirt & grime imbeded in it is HARD to remove.

I haven't noticed any paint coming off. I've siliconed a couple of foam blocks on painted metal in the boat as well. Had them knocked off, I cleaned and remounted them. We've all spilt gas on our auto's paint when fueling up and I haven't noticed any paint coming off there either.

Used silicone on camper shell window yesterday. Cleaned as much as possible with water immediatley and the today cleaned the film off with rubbing alcohol. Worked for me.