• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Removing Silicone Caulk

Whisker Trout Slayer

Question

For some reason the previous owner of the boat I have, used what I think is silicone clear caulk to fasten a block of foam and and a block of the pink insulation styrofoam inside the boat. I think it is so he can use it to hook lures on it so they will be handy to switch quickly.

I think they are hideous and want to remove both. Is there any known way to remove the caulk without scraping or ruining the paint? I would think a razor knife would also scrape off the paint as well.

Thanks for any suggestions.

9 answers to this question

There's some stuff called Motsenbacher's Lift Off. It comes in 5 different formulas. One of them is for silicone caulk and great stuff foam. It worked for me when I took out a shower door last year. I got it at Home Depot.

I quit useing silicon!! even if you remove the bead there's yet the film left that I cant find anything to remove it.With that film NOTHING else will adhere over it! Great stuff but the only product you can use over it is itself.When old it peels off and dirt & grime imbeded in it is HARD to remove.

I haven't noticed any paint coming off. I've siliconed a couple of foam blocks on painted metal in the boat as well. Had them knocked off, I cleaned and remounted them. We've all spilt gas on our auto's paint when fueling up and I haven't noticed any paint coming off there either.

Used silicone on camper shell window yesterday. Cleaned as much as possible with water immediatley and the today cleaned the film off with rubbing alcohol. Worked for me.