• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

As good as a Vexi???

morelnmusky

Is there a unit for open water that as is good as a vexi is for ice? Or do you know the best way to use a vexi in the summer? I have used mine on really calm days keeping my jig on the screen but it is difficult. Any thoughts???????

It is very difficult. I am in the process of learning this technique as well, my fishing buddies told me to just practice and I will get it down. They told me thats the only way to go for vertical jigging in the spring.

Duane

I have a FL18 on the front and use it for depth and to mark fish/weed, etc. Obviously your lure needs to be in the sonar cone which is hard to do with long rods for summer. Unless you have a large boat and stand back so the line is next to said ducer.

Good luck

THe vexi is just as good in the summer as winter, its all about the cone and where your bait is in relation. Doesn't matter what you buy. It helps to have a shorter rod and fish over the corner of the boat where the ducer is mounted. Heavier jigs/weight will generally show up as they are more verticle. Your boat control is more important than anything, the boat controls the position of the bait as much as the weight of the bait. Most cones are 9-12 degress at the bottom. very tight. in other words in 10 ft of water its rare to see your bait, and you wouldn't want to anyway because the fish probably will not be right under the boat at that point anyway?