• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How long will they live??

BID2

Poeple(who have posted on this site) in northern minnesota are saying that shiners are at a premium right now. so heres my plan.

I will buy my shiners at 5:00am drive one hour to pick my father up, probably kill 20-30 minutes there, then drive 45-50 minutes to our fishin hole. total time= 2.5 hours.

Will shiners live in a bag for 2.5 hrs?? He will be in blackduck which is a popular opener lake/area and im worried that they will not have the minnows that im looking for. I thought i could have the store break them up into multiple bags. Any thoughts or answers to how long shiners live in bags would be appreciated. Or possible other stratagies

thanx

Ask them not to put more than a dozen or so in one bag and like the other guys said keep them cool. It also helps to keep them in a dark place like a cooler or paper bag. They'll less stressed and won't use all the oxygen.

have them put only enough water to cover them when the bag is on its side, then squeeze all the air out before filling with oxygen, they dont need that much water the oxygen is more important, then put them in a cooler with an icepack they will live for a few days this way, I do it when I fish tournaments and we always have fresh minnows on the day we need them, the longest I have seen them live this way was with suckers that I forgot in the fridge for a week