• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Why Fireline?

Hey guys, all I hear about in this forum is "fireline, 10/4", why? Not to say I don't like Fireline, I used it for years, however now I use primarily PowerPro, and I like that stuff better. It's a round line, whereas Fireline is a flat line (frays easier), it's a little thinner than Fireline, and I've never had any problems with it, unlike a few with Fireline. Again, I'm not bashing Fireline at all, just wondering why it's so popular with you walleye guys?

I like it for longlining plugs and for in-line boards on the LOTW as it seems to be a bit more bite-off resisiant than Power Pro when those Jackfish show up. I use Power Pro behind segmented LC. Mono gets the nod for just about everything else I do Walleye-wise.

fiskyknut

I use power pro for fishing bass under docks but I think it fills up with water more vs. fire line because it is round so thats why I use fire line when trolling plugs I think it cuts through the water better!

Im a Power Pro guy as well and just have better over all luck with it not binding on itself like I had with Fireline. Both are good lines though. Its a preference thing in my opinion.

I've gotta ask why not fireline? I do use power pro for my line counters but I don't like power pro on any thing I might cast 'cuz it seems to knot up easier maybe I just need to learn how to cast?

Fireline 10/4 = PowerPro 25/6

Fireline little black stain, PowerPro major green stain

Fireline Dyneema, PowerPro Spectra

Fireline thermofused and coated, PowerPro braided and coated

When Fireline first came out, it was ribbon like and frayed and fluffed, but it maintained near equal strength even with little nicks. When PowerPro first came out, it was ribbon like and frayed and fluffed, but it broke as soon as it was nicked. Both lines loses their dyed coating. PowerPro left a big messy stain and can actually spray that onto you. For Fireline to stain you, you pretty much had to rub it onto you. Both lines were stiff fresh and became more flexible through wear.

Since then, both lines have gone through a whole lot of changes and a lot of improvements made to them. Some of the advantages were benefitted from improvements made to line guides and reel designs.

Fireline is the line used to test and thus graph crankbait dive curves for most of the trolling applications in Precision Trolling. Since repeatability is one of the most important aspect of trolling a crankbait, using the line the testers used to make the dive curves will aid you in placement of the bait at the correct level. grin

Mine also used trilene 10lb. They had a handy depth comparison chart between the trilene mono and various sizes of Fireline. 20% deeper with Fireline? I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

I remember there was no penalty in depth using 10 lb Fireline over the 8 lb Fireline, so that's what I use.

I had an old Abu 1075 that I used for some of my river fishing back when fireline came out, stringing it with the 10lb. and coupling it with an Abu heavy wait 6'rod for mississippi cats & smallies. Wading islands the first season mid-july, I hooked into a monster. It played and moved ever so slowly down stream and further out from me. pulled for what seemed forever, finally got about a 8 ft "deadhead" log pulled up to the shallows and the rod gave way and snapped. The line never broke. Had same knotting exp as pdogg w/p pro on a spinning rig and went right back to Fireline. Fireline for life. -E-

The book that I have is used referring to mono. And when trolling cranks I prefer the mono over fireline just for the extra stretch. The braids that are out there don't have enough give in them. I too am a fan of fireline but for my baitcast when musky fishing I use cortland masterbraid.

I too have switched to using PowerPro over Fireline. I never had any problems with Fireline other than it frayed quite a bit. For ice fishing, the fraying caused worse freezing problems with the line and more ice build up. I almost exclusively use super lines for walleye fishing. I do use some segmented LeadCore for pulling plugs but I also long line with super line for plugs. Its not that I don't like using mono lines, I just had problems with the mono getting memory. In the wind, which never stops blowing here in Mobridge, the mono would coil off the spool and make a mess when I opened the bail. Another thing I have done in snaggy areas is used superline with a mono leader.

When pulling plugs, the depth doesn't change for going to smaller line than 10# fireline. The depth curves actually are correct for 10/4 fireline and smaller.

I'm a PowerPro guy, I have had good luck with it, had some problems with Fireline digging into itself, but I think that was because I neglected to put on mono backing. So no real problems with either for me, just a prefrence thing.

I also like mono for some things, lindy rigging is one, also for slip bobbers or casting cranks, the extra stretch comes in handy. This is my first try with using braid on a jigging rod for walleyes, it's worked out well so far.

I've never tried powerpro. I've always had good luck with fireline. I like it on my trolling rods. I get deeper depths with my baits and I think the no stretch helps with hook-ups. I put it on my spinning reels because it pretty much eliminates any problems with line twist. I did switch to softer action rods to give the fish a little more play next to the boat. I generally also add a 4 to 6 foot mono or floro leader to help with shock obsorbtion. I think a person has to use whatever they're comfortable with. I like fireline.