• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

He is gone.

DRH1175

You adopt A dog to keep your hunting companion happy while at work. He is Is just this dog. Nothing more nothing less. You wonder what you are getting yourself into. Days turn in to weeks. Weeks turn into months. Before you know it you love this second dog as much as your first. And because of his past coming from a bad situation being beaten and hardly fed for his first 6 or so years. Maybe even more. He is scared of most everything. The cabinet door, thunder, even the clapping the few times the Vikings score. And though you don't have the bond as you do with the first dog you got at 6wks. It just doesn't matter. You have two kids now, and they seem the same to you.

It has only been 2 1/2 years since adopting him yet the bond feels like decades. As you do yard work he follows you around, Lays by yourside when you work on the car, boat or mowers. And does nothing but be the most loyal friend. Your hunting bud, though she is one of a kind. Spends the day chasing squirrls, bird and gophers. While this new friend, who you only took in for companionship to the first dog. Is the one who follows you around like you are the best thing since Rawhides. Wow what a perfect animal, perfect friend.

Than that dreaded day comes. It stikes like an arrow. All of a sudden as you bring him out to do his job for the night, before bed. He seems light headed, then stumbles out the door. Lays down for a moment. You help him up and he seems fine. It is sunday night, Your wife suggets that he goes to the vet the next day. Okay it won't hurt. Though you are both worried you don't show it. You tell your wife it is nothing. He is a little older so you can't expect him to be perfect to act young. But yet at around 9 or 10 you think he still has a few years in the tank.

You get to the vet at 9 am on Monday. He Checks over you Bud. Listens to his heart, All good. Checks his limbs, again all goes well. Then on the the stomache. The Vet looks up and says I know the problem, what you ask. He has a tumor on his slpeen about the size of a large grapefruit. Shock sets in. The vet says Benign tumors are quite common in Goldens. The options. Surgury if the bloodwork comes back good, Or just let it be and hope for the best. After getting good results back suggesting it most likely isn't cancer. You decide the best thing for him is to get that thing out of him so he can go on living for a few more years before the age catches up with him. The Dr does say bad things can happen in surgury but assuring you that he just did this surgury in a much worse case a week before it definilty out weighed not doing anything.

Tuesday night is tough, with that small chance he dies on the table, since removing the spleen is still a quite enasive opperation. You are scared but coinfident it is the right choice. Leaving for work is tough but you will see him tonight. 11am rolls by and the Vet calls. The surgury went very well he said. Your Sammy is awake and doing good. Only I do have some bad news he says. I was wrong on what I thought it was It appears to be cancer. There were many fingers I removed. I took out everything I saw. But of course there proably is some small ones I couldn't see. Bad bad news, you think but on the bright side atleast you can bring him home since he made it through surgury alright. Spend his last month or six enjoying him before the rainbow bridge comes calling.

You and the wife stop by to see him after work. He is doing great. His blood counts are up. He is awake an licking you. The vet wants to keep him the night on the IV to get his fluids up before going home. Come in at about 10am to pick him up. Sounds good. You pet him for a bit more and decide he should get his rest. You tell your wife that he will be home in the morning. The vet than calls at 10:30 pm all is well. I put him on another IV and he is going great. We will see you in the morning.

9:30 hit it is time to leave you say. You will be leaving to pick him up. Your wife calls and said The vet just called me. We are suppose to hurry up. He took a turn for the worst. He appears to be going into shock. The wife beat you there arriving at 9:40. She is holding him crying He passed before she even got there. Going from great to gone in a mere 5 or 10 minutes. The vet is sorry. His heart gave out. Not knowing if there was cancer in his heart or just too stressed loosing his slpeen.

Your life feels as though it has ended. Honestly more than just loosing a dog. Loosing a part of your being. In the last 2 1/2 short years this dog took an affect on you. You realize he taught you how to love even more than you realized. As I sit her writing, Shaking with Sadness, and thoughts on what to do next. Gracie, your hunting buddy, has just lost her canine companion. You have lost one of your best friends. A true part of your being. What is next. This is my second dog, but the first that I have lost. Sure you lost a couple as a kid but they were dad's dogs anyways. What do we do next, How do we go on. There will never be another Sammy. He is one of a kind. The calmest, kindest, most caring dog you have ever met. Totally Irriplaceable.

Thanks for your time.

We lost our Sammy this morning at around 9:35. God Bless you Bud, forever, Daddy.

I don't know where to go from here. But just thought sharing my story would help me in some way. Thanks and now the tears roll..

Sorry to hear about the loss of your companion, Sammy. This of course is never easy, but you made that dogs life worth living. It repayed you every day in some way I'm sure. Feel very good about becoming that dogs friend and hold on to your memories.

Goldens are a wonderful breed. I'm living with my 4th and 5th Buddies. My second died suddenly and I, like you probably are, was in a haze for several days. But life goes on as it always does.

God bless....and the eyes water up some more..

I feel for you, I'm sure you read my post on loosing my best buddy last week, only I lost mine to the highway suddenly. I can say it gets easier, but even after more than a week goes by, it's still extremely tough to swallow.

You mentioned you don't know what to do with him, I found something I'm doing with my bud that was creamated. if you want to know, let me know and I'll share.

take care, very, very sorry for your loss.

The greatest responsibility we take on when getting a pup is knowing that one day we will have to say 'goodbye' and a life decision will more often than not be put in our hands at that time.

In the interim, we can only give them our love and accept their unending love.... and when 'that day' comes, your heart and your buddy can both rest in peace knowing that along the way you both enjoyed each other and it was indeed a good fulfilled life!

I've had to put down way too many pals in my short 44 years on this earth. It never gets any easier and each and everyone was special. But, I full well know that they all touched me and I was their universe... so life was good.

Your story sounds like your pal Sammy had it all! A best buddy or two, a soft bed to lay in with his pals and an owner with enough love in his heart to do what was right to try and give him a chance at life. Sammy is resting now and though it's tough to let go, let your heart be at ease!

Godspeed Sammy!

Good Luck!

Ken

I can't tell you how overwhemled I felt after reading your story. It's been 2 years 8 months now when I had to put my 8 year old Lab, Duncan, down. Your story brought back some incredible emotions for me. I think of him often, but rarely compare him, to my now 2 year old. Only when I get mad sometimes. We find ways to move on, however, but never giving up the memories we have of a dear, lost compainion.

Jeff

Thanks, anything you guys can say to help us out in this time of horror is much appreciated. To us today our lives have ended. Though I am sure some day we will be at peace. Knowing we did what we could to make his life the best it could be. Sammy Truely was our best friend. Here are a few pictures http://www.pbase.com/jhanson/sammy

You gave Sammy 2 1/2 of the best years he could have ever imagined. Like others said, you gave him a warm place to sleep, companionship and your love and affection....he gave you the same in return. He is on the otherside of the rainbow bridge telling all our past buds how greatfull he is to have been adopted by you.

God speed Sammy............

After reading that, I sit here crying thinking of some of the friends I have lost over the years. I looked at Sammy's pics, what a beautiful boy. Theres really no words to make you feel better. Just want you to know I'm so sorry for your loss. The only problem with dogs is that they don't live long enough. Mine are curled at my feet and I am going to get off this computer and go snuggle with them now. Take care of yourself and your family. I hope each day that comes gets a little easier for you all.

fishtrapgirl

I had my dog cremated and then got some of her ashes put into shotgun shells, I went to a couple of our favorite rooster hangouts and she will forever hunt that ground. I thought she would enjoy that.

Sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss. I wish I knew the majic words to help another with loss. Best thing I can do is to listen to what you have to say. It does help to speak of the pain. One learns that you are not alone in your grief.

DRH, very sorry for your loss. That is a day that we all never look forward to. It will take time....just remember all the good times you spent with your buddy and know that you did all you could to keep!

Here is a nice poem from the book "Tears and Laughter" by Gene Hill. This was a book I purchased shortly after getting my first dog and loved the stories. This particular story was very comforting to me after I had to put my Brittany to sleep at 13 years after getting her at 7 weeks. Hope this helps provide you peace...because "He will be waiting for you".

He's Just My Dog

"Tears & Laughter" by Gene Hill.

He's just my dog. He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds.

He has told me more than a thousand times over that I am his reason for being -- by the way he rests against my leg, by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile, by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me).

When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive.

When I am angry he clowns to make me smile.

When I am happy, he is joy unbounded.

When I am a fool, he ignores it.

When I succeed, he brags.

Without him, I am only another person.

With him, I am all powerful. He has taught me the meaning of devotion in loyalty itself. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace.

He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant. His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things.

He has promised to wait for me ... whenever ... wherever ... in case I need him, and I expect I will, as I always have.

Who is he?

He's just MY DOG!

Thank you everyone and your continued support in this time of need is greatly appreciated. Ryan V. Yes I saw your post last week. I sent my condolences thinking about my two. A tear came to my eye at that point wondering how horrible that might be, thanking god I still have my two. Wondering how I would get through that when it happens to me. Not even a week later there I am in the same position as you. We love our pets. Where do we go from her 29 hours later and though it is setting in on what has happened. I wonder what to do to get past it. How did your first week go. What are you doing with your ashes. We are having sammy cremated as well individually. We picked out a nice oak urn that we can keep him in forever. I would like to make him a memorial but what? What are you doing? And others what have you done?

I don't even have a dog and I can feel the pain. Allergies prevent me from having dogs so house cats are my little buds. It's amazing, dog, cat, you are the world to them.

Don't feel sad. Remember the good times. Those are tears of joy, not pain. You gave Sammy the best 2.5 years of his life and he's not soon to forget it. You'll see him again someday.

"All dogs go to Heaven"

I don't believe it can ever be an easy loss. I have lost a few dogs and have another that I dread the day she will leave me. I feel for you and your family and know that time will heal the wounds and will leave you with some very special memories forever.

I found a place that will take his ashes and mix them into a mixture and make a patio stone out of it. they will put in a picture and lots of other options, it was the neatest thing I've seen. I've got mine designed in my head already and that way Jake will still greet people at the front door just like he used to, and I can take him wherever I go!! just a neat memorial!! cost is about 200 dollars, but I won't bat an eye at it. email me if you want more information.

cruiser1221 aat yahoo dot you know what

Wow I tell you what. This has been the saddest day and a half of my life I lost my best friend. Yet all of you have been so supportive. I love FM. You can come here for tips, trick, info and in times like these SUPPORT! You all have really helped me feel better. Though I am far feeling whole again. I sure do feel better about the fact that others understand what I am going through. I will be hear to support all of you when your sad time comes. Thanks a million

Such a sad day with the loss of such a dear friend. I have been through this a few times myself and it certainly is never easy. Rest assured that your Sammy is probably the one thanking you for giving him a second chance at a happy life. I hope those thoughts and your warm memories of Sammy keep him in a special spot near to your heart. I wish you and your family all the best as you begin your healing. Rest peacefully Sammy.

The loss of a dog is one that seams to hurt more than most. A guy gets a dog, brings it into his home, and dedicates 10 or so years of his life to the animal. Then it is gone. Just like that. It is easy to forget how that feals when you get the next one. But when the day comes it hits just as hard.

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you have a lot of good memories.