• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cats on the MN river.

Grant Pearson

Sandmand and I are thinking about doing an overnight trip on the MN looking for cats of decent size. Any ideas on where to start? not necessarily looking for GPS quardinates, but looking for general areas to start. We'll be fishing from the boat, so any help would be usefull. Neither one of us know the MN river too well for cats, so looking for some "first timers" help.

If you plan on going now, I just want to caution you that the river is high, and flowing heavily. When the river is up this high it is not a good time to be venturing out your first time in uncharted waters. If you do, be carefull!

As for places to go, I am a quite abit south of where Im sure you had in mind, so I will let others give you them tips!

All I can say, is that if you plan on it anytime soon, you might want to change plans.

I would recommend against any first timers venturing out right now. It was pretty spooky out there last night. Massive trees coming down river at 5mph.

We were in an area that normally gives us 6-7 options on places to go. Well we were down to one spot we could fish and have any confidence, and even that wasn’t very great.

Now when the water drops to more “normal” level things will be better.

The miss was ridiculous Wed morning. We actually unloaded the boat in the parking lot like 20 feet in front of the ramp docks (where you are suppose to launch). I could have motored circles around these docks. Talkin high water there.

Do I have to mention the current?

Yeah, I couldn't believe how much water was flowing on the miss yesterday. I have never seen that much water moving that fast! Thank goodness that now logs or other debris came our way or it could have spelled trouble. We ended up fishing an area for the only reason that the current was managable, definately not exactly where we wanted to be.

Originally Posted By: Tyler Holm
The miss was ridiculous Wed morning. We actually unloaded the boat in the parking lot like 20 feet in front of the ramp docks (where you are suppose to launch). I could have motored circles around these docks. Talkin high water there.

I unloaded in the henderson parking lot on wednesday. Water was almost up to where the truck was parked when I loaded up.

by all means, come along!! This time, we'll be able to try different spots. Lets hope the raccoons and beavers leave us alone this time!

You're a little freak man. By all means come along he says, almost sounds like he has a boat doesn't it? Chris actually came up with the idea so he's coming for sure. Kingfisher is always there to raz.

Originally Posted By: Tyler Holm

I unloaded in the henderson parking lot on wednesday. Water was almost up to where the truck was parked when I loaded up.

boat_ramps.jpg

Originally Posted By: kingfisher1
by all means, come along!! This time, we'll be able to try different spots. Lets hope the raccoons and beavers leave us alone this time!

You're a little freak man. By all means come along he says, almost sounds like he has a boat doesn't it? Chris actually came up with the idea so he's coming for sure. Kingfisher is always there to raz.

Thats to funny laugh Now if the river ever goes down we can do it.