• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern Fillets (St. Cloud)

I believe this has come up before... I think the 'cold processing' in the DNR report does not take into consideration freezing, but rather the cold brining and pickeling process which will not kill the eggs and larvae.

I'd have to dig (don't have the time right now), but the ag dept. or USDA addressed this and if I remember correctly, freezing for a minimum of 72 hours will also destroy the eggs and larvae... I'd never just chuck fresh pike in the pickle juice and hope all is well...

Good Luck!

Ken

Toomuchfun is correct. Thats why I buy my fillets, which are flash frozen at a much lower temp. I'm hoping that the flash-freeze kills them or the amount of time in the warehouse and/or store will take care of the rest.

I would rather be safe than sorry about worms, wouldn't you?

MM

From the FDA link:

"Freezing and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours is sufficient to kill parasites. FDA's Food Code recommends these freezing conditions to retailers who provide fish intended for raw consumption."

The factory setting on my freezer is 0 F or -17.88 C and has 4 colder settings yet. My deep freeze actually has a "flash freeze" setting as well. I would imagine most freezers are capable of reaching this -4F threshold and maintaining it for a week.

i have eaten a few northerns in my day pickled and fried that never hit the freezer and im alive and well. i go for a phsical every year and the doc says i have no strange deseases from eating fish. just my two bits worth.