Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MinDak Hunter

Northern Fillets (St. Cloud)

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of a store that sells northern fillets in the St. Cloud area? I want to pickle some and can't find any.

Thanks

MM

Cash Wise regularly has them in the freezer case across from the meat counter.

If you have a Cub Foods they carry northern fillets

Why not wait till Sat. and get some fresh???????

I would love to wait but there are two reasons... First, I need to work. Second, northern fillets should frozen for awhile to kill the parasites in the meat.

I believe this has come up before... I think the 'cold processing' in the DNR report does not take into consideration freezing, but rather the cold brining and pickeling process which will not kill the eggs and larvae.

I'd have to dig (don't have the time right now), but the ag dept. or USDA addressed this and if I remember correctly, freezing for a minimum of 72 hours will also destroy the eggs and larvae... I'd never just chuck fresh pike in the pickle juice and hope all is well...

Good Luck!

Ken

Toomuchfun is correct. Thats why I buy my fillets, which are flash frozen at a much lower temp. I'm hoping that the flash-freeze kills them or the amount of time in the warehouse and/or store will take care of the rest.

I would rather be safe than sorry about worms, wouldn't you?

MM

From the FDA link:

"Freezing and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours is sufficient to kill parasites. FDA's Food Code recommends these freezing conditions to retailers who provide fish intended for raw consumption."

The factory setting on my freezer is 0 F or -17.88 C and has 4 colder settings yet. My deep freeze actually has a "flash freeze" setting as well. I would imagine most freezers are capable of reaching this -4F threshold and maintaining it for a week.

i have eaten a few northerns in my day pickled and fried that never hit the freezer and im alive and well. i go for a phsical every year and the doc says i have no strange deseases from eating fish. just my two bits worth.