• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Floating Jig Heads

why is it that everytime I use floaters all I catch is Bullheads? I don't get it. How do you fellas rig them. Do you use three way swivels with a weight on the bottom? Thanks.

Swivel to the line with a bullet (1/4-1/2 oz) weight above it and 3' mono leader tied to the jig (loop knot is what my granddad called it) is all I've ever used. If using a minnow, be sure to hook it top to bottom so it doesn't trail belly up (since the weight will bounce off the rocks -- in theory -- as opposed to getting hung up between them -- which happens a LOT)so the jig will be upside down (hook facing down).

If all you're getting is bullheads, your leader may not be long enough.

I always lindy rig it with a 4-6 foot snell. I hook the minnow from the bottom up through the head. The hook hang up. Caught lots of fish doing this....

Had to go to the boat and take another look at the jigs. The eye is on the same side as the curve of the hook, so both would be facing down as the sinker bounces off the bottom. Makes sense that you would hook the minnow from the top of the head for the jigs I'm fishing if you want it to run upright. Paceman, could be we're talking different kinds of floating jig heads.