• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auto Tilt Question

titelines

Hi all,

I pulled the boat out last week and got her all cleaned up and organized for the season.

I have a 1991 Suzuki 115 hp motor on the boat and was using the button on the motor itself to trim the motor up and down. No problems at this point.

When I got done with everything I wanted to trim the motor up to avoid hitting anything when I put it back in the garage, and it would not trim up. It would trim down, but not up.

I didn't have the boat key with me so I wasn't able to try trimming it with the on-board controls, but I'll try it this weekend.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any insight.

It shouldn't be a problem with or without key, the trim switch is independent.

If it doesn't go up I would check your relays first, swap them, if it works up but not down you know one is faulty.

Let us know.

My dad's old merc had the same thing go wrong. The switch on the motor went bad - its a 2 way switch and 1 side can break while the other still works fine. I'd try disconnecting the switch and jumping the wires to verify.

Thanks for all the replies. Now I have another question as I've never done this type of repair.

Is switching the wires pretty easy to do? It's kind of hard without having it in front of me, but can you walk me through how to do this?

My hope is that maybe I can print this thread out and bring it with me to help me along. If nothing else, I hope I can trim it up so I can trailer it to a repair shop.

Thanks again!!

If the suzuki is the same as the merc was, there are 3 wires to it. One is the common that brings power to the switch, and one is for up, and one is for down. Disconnect the wires, and connect each of the up and down wires to the common, one at a time (don't connect them at the same time). When you connect them, that should make the motor go up or down. If both directions work, it is your switch. But you still should try your trim control switch on the throttle first. If that works in both directions, it also indicates that the switch on your motor is bad.

The wires for tilt & trim are 3, Red (common + ), Blue (UP), and Green (DOWN).

As described try to switch them around, or with a jumper wire connected to the RED touch the Blue and/or the Green to see if it works.

My bet is solenoids, they are common to fail and not very expensive to replace, if you have a friend that is mechanically inclined heve it check it for you, it won't take much, in fact if you live close I can do it for you.

Thanks again for all the info, it is appreciated.

I have a trim switch in the bow as well, so I'll try that first. If that works, I can at least trim it up for transport and weekend use.

I'll then work with the wires and switch to see if it does what you guys are describing.

Valv - Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. I'm in the Two Harbors area, so I'm not real close to you. There's a couple places in town as well as the Knife River Marina I can take it to. It will help to have it diagnosed instead of them tearing it apart too.

If you can't figure it out and need to get out fishing (and therefore, tip the motor up to transport it), look on the LH or RH side of the motor mounting bracket, on the outside of the transmission. In it there should be a slot that inside you'll see a flat head screw. Loosen the screw a little bit, then lift up the motor to the desired height. When you have it at the desired height tighten the screw (might need help or something to prop the motor on) and it should stay put.

Good luck!

marine_man

Originally Posted By: titelines

I have a trim switch in the bow as well, so I'll try that first.

Valv - Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. I'm in the Two Harbors area, so I'm not real close to you. There's a couple places in town as well as the Knife River Marina I can take it to. It will help to have it diagnosed instead of them tearing it apart too.

Darn, I was in Two Harbors last friday going and coming back from Grand Portage, well too late now.

Originally Posted By: marine_man
(might need help or something to prop the motor on) and it should stay put.

Good luck!

marine_man

Good suggestion Marine. Make sure you have someone to help. I had a 75hp Evinrude that needed one guy to hold, while the other pulled the screw. Outboards are heavier than you think.

All,

Just wanted to give an update. I put the key in and plugged in the on-board charger...tried the switch on the throttle and nothing. Let it sit for awhile and, suddenly, it worked! Then it didn't ...then it did again...The switch on the motor was going in and out too. I pulled the cover and saw all the wires you told me about. I have a white/red wire, a pink wire and a blue/green wire. I figured it all out, played around a bit and got it all working nice. I think I'll have to replace two of my batteries, but otherwise I'm in good shape.

Thanks to all who helped me out. It saved a trip to the repair shop and I learned something new.

Thanks again!