• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rubber Roof

jwhjr

Has anyone had a rubber roof installed, or have any experience with one? It's time for the roof at my mom's cabin to be replaced, and the roofer is recommending a rubber roof. The roof is flat (very little slope at all), and is about 35' wide by 40' deep. There is currently rolled roofing on it, and to replace with the same vs. the rubber roofing is a difference of about $2000. I've done a little research, and I get that it's recommended for a flat roof, but I'm still pretty unfamiliar with it. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

If your having it done tell the installer you want one piece rubber no seams.The stuff is excellent!!.If one piece is not to be had or too expensive go with only one seam on slope.I'm sure the roofer knows this,

It's really pretty simple but disappointingly you have to read the directions and follow them. The big box store that starts with an M sells the various solvents and glues and tapes and it's pretty do-able although you'll have to bathe in gasoline and throw away your clothes afterwards.

Rubber is normally just laid in place along with some sealant, then cut and wrapped on the edges. I have only done a few and only small jobs.

Heatchecker, for something that small, you could look into the Conklin systems that roll on like paint. Put that on right over the rolled roofing. Google conklin and look at the rapid roof system. Or possibly the EPDM recoating system. A few to choose from and they also have rubber. Very good professional grade stuff. Used it quite a few times.

A rolled roof is the cheapest route and one that won't last long. Especially if your thinking on getting away with a 3" lap.

On a dwelling that size I wouldn't waste the time and money with rolled roofing. There will be more cost involved for the rubber roof but there is no comparison as to what is a better roof.

As to installation of a rubber(EPDM)roof. (Note there are other single ply membrane roofing too). It is glued down with cement on both the roof deck and membrane, when the two meet thats it. Depends on the condition of the roof deck, do you want to add more insulation, and do you want to give the rubber more protection. You'll see rubber put down over osb, or a fiberboard sheet on top the old deck, or insulation added and then the fiberboard. You can do the roof in one piece or seams. Either way it takes skill to do either.

I've done commercial and residential rubber roofs . Not that singles don't take some knowledge to do it right but a rubber roof can get away from you and theres no turning back. For that reason I'd use the roofing contractor whether its seamless or seams. As I said depending on the roof deck you might want to at least add the fiberboard to protect the membrane from defects.

Thanks for the information. I'll be meeting with the roofing contractor up there on Saturday, and now I have some more information to ask the right questions.

Another possibility you have is to put some rafters on this roof, sheet it, and shingle it. Even if you had a 3/12 pitch minnimum, you prolly wont have to worry about it for at least 15 years if you do this. And rafters are fairly cheap. My experience's with rubber roofing is you get air bubbles under it and it can be a bugger to install.

Just finished up residing in Jan. Would have liked to peak out the roof and put shingles on the way it should be done, but priorities were "house would start rotting if the "buffalo board" didn't come off, and of course the usual lack of funds! Plus the lower end would need to be built up 1-2 ft to make rafters work.

Do not buy your rubber matting from the chain store, go to a roffing supplier. chain store rubber is thinner, thats why it is cheaper.The roof supply stores will have all the sealant you need to install properly.Dont forget the underlayment looks like built rite before you put down thr rubber.If you want to get fancy with a flat roof like that, rubber roof it and put a floating deck on it.