• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tree roots

Schloogs

This may be a dumb question but I have to ask it. When there are tree roots that surfuce and stick up from the ground, to the point where the lawn mower blade clips them, will it damage the tree at all if I take a hatchet to the root and remove it? I have a couple of roots doing this and are a pain but I don't want to damage the tree.

Assuming this is a big mature tree, losing 1 or 2 roots shouldn't hurt it. If it's not a mature tree, then removing roots would probably be bad for it.

Also, If you could just take some of the top of the root off so your mower blade won't hit, and not chop it all the way out it might scar over and be below your mower blade but still be a valid root.

Whether the tree is mature or not it will miss the root, especially if its reaching up to the mower.

Unless there is an erosion problem, I wouldn't do anything to the roots. If you add dirt, the roots will continue to move to the surface. Thats the way they like it. The best thing you could do is mulch around the base of the tree and reduce the amount of mowing you have to do.

root trimming is a common practice to control root invasion or being an obstacle. The nutrient intake in the root system is in the top 18 inches of the soil and is taken in by the fine hair like "tenticles". WHACK AWAY!!!!!!