• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

buying a travel trailer?

Sabaskong

Hi, I'm looking at buying a travel trailer soon and I don't know much about them. Just looking for some advice on brands and likes or dislikes about different models. Looking at spending 10 to 14 grand in the 28ft. to 32ft. range. Thanks

I'm sure that there'll be some deals as good as the spring shows coming up now that we're in the season.

We upgraded two years ago. We probably walked through 50 or more units. The quality has grealy improved across the board and is pretty noticable.

I'd run through local campgrounds and keep track of the kinds of units you see. You can go on line and check out floorplans and find dealers in your area. We bought our first tent camper in DL because it was cheaper that the same unit on the local lot. We bought the upgrade in Litchfield from a dealer who had less inventory and was willing to negotiate to move inventory.

You'll need to keep your two vehicle in mind, too. It more beef to pull 4,000-5,000 lbs. of trailer and stuff.

If you are new to towing a travel trailer, take the time to learn about tow ratings, gross vehicle combination ratings, wet weight, dry weight, axle weight, tongue weight, etc.

This link to articles on the Trailer Life web site will help show you how to setup a good tow vehicle/trailer combination.

With the right setup, you won't even know the trailer's back there. With the wrong setup, it will be all you can do to stay out of the ditch.

If you buy one with a slide out, depending on the size it can add 1-2 thousand pounds. Plus they sit higher. 3 steps down vs 1 and more air drag.

you can find some decent used ones for a pretty good price if you have time to look.

Check out the Dutchman T@da. If I had the money for a new trailer when I bought my pop-up, I woulda got the Dutchman T@b in a heartbeat. The T@da is just a bigger version. Very cool camper.

Most brands within the same price range are pretty similar. Don't believe a word the salesman says about whether your truck will handle it or not. Do your own research! A poorly matched rig is a nightmare going down the road and takes all the fun out of it. IMHO a 28 to 32 foot trailer will need a Heavy 3/4 to 1 ton to do a good job on the road.

thanks for the info so far guys, I went looking at a couple dealers on friday and found a couple that I liked. I seen one with 2 full beds in it that looked pretty good. The bunkbeds in some of them seem kind of like a joke though. Hopefully will be able to find one next week. By the way, I'm bringing it up to the lake and leaving it and I have a couple of buddies with 3/4 tons so I should be ok pulling it.

Most brands are pretty good, basically comes down to the floor plan. We are on our 4th travel trailer now. Started with a 24' then a 30' then a 38 double slide and now a 40' triple slide. We have been seasonal for the last 5 years so no worry on towing.

Great econmical way to spen time at the lake rather than owning a lake cabin.

If you buy one get a good hitch. We towed a trailer for 14 yrs, then went to a 5th whl.and the hitch made a lot of differance. Reese has a good one there is another one we used that was better but can't remember its name. Enjoy it, rving is a lot of fun.

Most brands within the same price range are pretty similar. Don't believe a word the salesman says about whether your truck will handle it or not. Do your own research! A poorly matched rig is a nightmare going down the road and takes all the fun out of it. IMHO a 28 to 32 foot trailer will need a Heavy 3/4 to 1 ton to do a good job on the road.

I agree 100%!!!

The ultimate rig is a motorhome. Nothing better, plus you can pull a trailer safely.

The next safest is a fifth wheel camper.

If you ever have towed in the wind, you know how much better and fifth wheel or gooseneck is compared to a tag trailer. The motorhomes handle the wind the best.

I know of a used tag trailer though that will be coming up fs. It's only a few years old and hardly used.

I know when we bought our TT, we went litterally cris crossed the state. Duluth, Fargo/Moorhead, Twin Cities, Minong WS. So I know what it is like trying to find the right one. There are so many things to consider. Length, floor plan, light weight vs convention construction, slide outs. Do alot of research and take your time. Pay attention to details, fit and finish, and reputations (dealer and manufacture). Good luck with your search and enjoy "camping".

Like boatfixer, do your research. When you find a model you like, do a search for that and you'll run across other boards and people will be talking about what they like and don't like about a specific model.