• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opening Day Strategy

zesty

With th opener only a few days away lets hear some eye strategies for this weekend. Shallow, deep? Cranks, live bait? Will the colder than normal spring change your approach?

First, I'll be fishing rocks and sand/gravel in water 10 feet or less using cranks.

I'll also being using jig/minnow or plastics. Maybe even do some lindy rigging.

I'll throw the kitchen sink at them. I'll be fishing a lake I have never fished on opener and it isn't mapped very well with the new technology so I'll wing it till I find em.

Originally Posted By: zesty
With th opener only a few days away lets hear some eye strategies for this weekend. Shallow, deep? Cranks, live bait? Will the colder than normal spring change your approach?

Yes to everything. You just gotta keep trying till you find them, then stay on it.

Doing the same as Buddha... fishing a new lake that I've never been on without ice on it, so I've got 5 rods set up with different types of bait. Gonna fish hard til I find 'em, then stick with whatever's working

First of all, I will not turn off the big motor untill I have a fish on the line. Then I will not turn it off unless the fish is big enough to waste time casting for another. Keep moving untill I find a pattern. Inside turns, outside turns, Top of drop offs, Bottom of drop offs. Hard bottom, soft bottom. Then I'll troll all spot like those. If there big I'll fan cast the area and give it a good working over. Set a waypoint, move on. Build up a milk run and give'em @#$$.