• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How much could we save?

I'll be in the market for a new tow vehicle in a few months and was thinking how much of a waste it is (in gas) to drive around in it when not towing.

Seems to me like there would be a market for some car rental places to rent them out. I've heard it's a liability issue, but that's what insurance is for. I know the pick-ups you can rent don't have hitches.

If people had a choice to rent a tow vehicle when needed, they could drive something more economical during the week. It would help with the gas usage.

How many air haulers are there out driving around all by themselves watching the gas gage dive towards empty. I'm afraid I'm one of them and my empty wallet shows it.

Anyone want to rent mine out from Mon-Fri? If only! \:\) Mine is an air hauler on weekdays and either is a true truck on the weekends or it sits in the garage.

Two options - get a third fuel efficient vehicle or get a truck that gets much better gas mileage.

The first option stinks because I don't want to park 3 vehicles and I really don't want to maintain 3.

The second option is looking difficult to accomplish. The 1/2 ton diesels coming next year will be 30-40% more efficient, but the extra option price and diesel:gas price difference will not save me much money. Would tow all day though with that torque and alos last forever. I'm not really sold on the hybrid truck idea yet.

Or if you can handle it, get a smaller boat that can be pulled with a 4 banger and besides you can run them all summer long for cheap. I have a 14' 25hp that has it all, floor,livewell,trolling motors front and back,pedestal seats, and you can fish 3 adults just fine. I happen to have a full size truck now but used to pull it with a ranger just fine.

Buy a third vehicle!! Look for a junker that gets 35-40 mpg.. If it dies it dies, but only paying 40$ a week vs. $100 is a minimum of $240 a MONTH. Image is nothing, money in the bank account is everything.

A third vehicle or if you are working on the metro bus lines, take the bus.

I do that and my bus pass is taken from my check before taxes. I pay 60 bucks a month for the pass and it picks me up 7 doors down from my house and drops me off right outside my office. Does the same on the way home and I get a 45 minute nap or magazine reading time each way. No traffic headache either, the bus just passes them all on the shoulder.

I've put five third cars (two Chevettes, one Olds Firenza, one Geo Metro and one Chevy Cavalier) in the junk yard in 15 years. It's getting harder to find a reliable junker for under $1,000.

Course at $3.50 a gallon, $1,000 is just over six fillups in my Sub's 44-gallon tank. Maybe I'll look a little harder.

My jeep gets 17-19 mpg. I only drive it to pull the boat or another trailer or to get through snow. I've bought a couple of Nissans on hsolist in the last 6 yrs or so. I retired the first one after 250,000 miles because it needed brakes and tires but it ran perfect and didn't burn oil. Somebody got a good deal for the $300 it went for. The one I have now gets even better mileage and also runs like a champ. those $1000 cars might not look too cool, but they can save lots of $$$. It doesn't take very long for them to pay for themselves at 39mpg, after that it's gravy.

I posted this the other day in the auto forum.

last fall I found out I would be driving my boys to cottage grove every day for either day care or preschool. I figured out that it would ruffly run me $70 a week for gas to drive the Tundra everyday. I thought to myself I need another Saturn. So I picked up the cheapest SL-2 I could find that was in one piece and ran tops. I fill up once a week, yesterday it cost me $23. I checked my mileage after I filled up last night which was 28.9 mpg compared to the Tundra at 16.5 to 17. So I drive the Saturn M-F and the Tundra on the weekends!

This is the second Saturn I have owned. The first was a 99 SL-2 which for all intents and purposes is the same as this one which is a 97 SL-2. It is definitely a beater but these cars are very dependable, few known issues, easy to work on, and relatively cheap to maintain/repair. I have no regrets on the third vehicle purchase!

I bought a Ford Escape last spring and I love it. It can tow up to 3500 pounds and while it doesn't get excellent gas mileage (23-27mpg everyday use)it is way better than my truck. When I bought my full size F150 I got it with a six versus the V-8, ordered it with a beefed up rear end differential and can tow up to 5000 pounds. I can get anywhere between 16-18mpg with it. If I were still working everyday I would have bought a much more economical car.

Basically it comes down to doing the math. I would have to think for most people, getting a third vehicle just isn’t going to be the cure all.

When you add in the initial cost of the vehicle, insurance, tabs, repair costs, not to mention a spot to park it. You have to drive a lot of miles to make up the difference.

People just need to be sensible about what the heck they are doing.

I heard a story on KQ this morning about people who were sitting in line for hours and driving long distances to save 30 cents a gallon. On average that’s probably about $5 in savings. \:\/

A third car sounds good when you crunch the numbers and save some money at each fillup but one thing that no one has mentioned yet is you need to also factor in tabs and insurance to the cost of the third vehicle. Then see if the extra gas mileage is worth it. We had a third years ago but decided it was a wash and took up space in the driveway so we got rid of it. But that was when gas was under $2.00/gal. Now I'm reconsidering one again. I drive a big pickup, need to to pull the boat, and the wife drives an SUV.

I keep my pathfinder in the garage 5 days a week, getting it out on the weekend for my outdoor adventures.

I take public transportation (light rail, or bus) or ride my bike during the warm months of the year.

I did the math when I chose mine. Based on my daily savings for work alone, I estimate I will save nearly $1,200.00 annually based on the $3.08 price of gas. I factored in my added insurance cost, my license cost, the purchase price, I paid cash so I didn't have to consider interest although it would have been only 4.5%. Maintenance cost is a wash since the total miles driven doesn't change therefore the cost per vehicle goes down while the cost per mile remains relatively similar.

Since the car is a 2001 model year, I expect it will have some resale value so I figure I'll recoup my investment within 3 to 4 years.

Bob

Based on 20000 (conservative estimate) miles per year and 3.50/gallon.

If I went from 17mpg to 30mpg. My savings would be 1785/yr.

A pretty good estimate would be $1000 for a car+ insurance + tabs. Now I’m at a savings of 785/Yr.

Instead, if I drive 5000 miles less/yr and do things to get an extra 2pmg out of my vehicle, now I’ve saved $1354 and I’m actually $569 dollars ahead of buying that $1000 car.

Just something to think about.

Originally Posted By: dtro

When you add in the initial cost of the vehicle, insurance, tabs, repair costs, not to mention a spot to park it. You have to drive a lot of miles to make up the difference.

The first year is a wash after that I'm ahead $60 - $80 a month on average after insurance and maintenance. The choice of vehicle is going to make all the difference! There are plenty of cheap vehicles out there that will empty your wallet many times over. It took about 3 months to find one that was cheap enough and in a desirable condition. Getting parts at cost and being able to make all the repairs myself doesn't hurt! grin.gif

Besides its kind of nice having a beater again!!

I saved roughly $1380 last year in gas, now take away

ins $390/year

tabs $44.50

oil changes $40.00 I do them myself.

I saved $900

Insurance on my truck is $600/year

I still save $300

It is pretty close to a wash, but not having to replace $600 worth of tires and having the sht beat out of my truck at hockey rinks and soccer fields is worth it to me. When I retire in 6 years and not doing all the running around I do now the 3rd vehicle will be a waste.

I think someone mentioned it but by not driving your "nicer" vehicle it will last much much longer. If you don't get into the "desire" to buy a new vehicle every couple years, a good large vehicle can be with you for at least 15 years!! We currently drive a 97accord and 01 accord. I do plan on buying a full-size vehicle eventually but if I only put on 5000 or so miles a year, and with some dealers offering lifetime warranties, you can come out way ahead..

Originally Posted By: shizzy
i live so close to work I would never recoup the cost. basides that I know enough guys with large trucks to get my stuff hauled

I have friends like you, drives me nuts. Always needing to borrow my truck. At least most of them fill it up with gas before bringing it back.

Hey LambJm,

How do you like the Escape? You say it can tow 3500lbs? Can anybody tell me how much an 18 foot Lund Alsakan weighs with a 40 hp 4 stroke Mercury? I might consider dumping my 2001 Dodge Ram Van that is getting 12 mpg (9 when I tow my boat). Would I be pushing the tow limits of the Escape with this type of set up? Any help would be appreciated from the FM posse!

Windy

Windy, you probably would be ok. Might be towards the max.

It would tow it fine no doubt, where it might get hairy is stopping and pulling out of the water.

Dtro,

What kind of tonage am I pulling? I have no idea. I'm one of those dumb flatlanders that buys a boat without checking into anything, LOL

I thought that the Alaskan was around 750 lbs and the motor was under 400 so loaded with equipment I thought I was well under 2G's. I thought 3500 was no problem, fill me in.

Windy

Originally Posted By: dtro
Based on 20000 (conservative estimate) miles per year and 3.50/gallon.

If I went from 17mpg to 30mpg. My savings would be 1785/yr.

A pretty good estimate would be $1000 for a car+ insurance + tabs. Now I’m at a savings of 785/Yr.

Instead, if I drive 5000 miles less/yr and do things to get an extra 2pmg out of my vehicle, now I’ve saved $1354 and I’m actually $569 dollars ahead of buying that $1000 car.

Just something to think about.

There is also the added benefit of driving your nice car/truck instead of some piece of garbage that you only drive cuz it gets better gas mileage.