• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp in the lakes

When fishing for Carp in area lakes, do you fish the same as in the river? Example: #2 0r #3 bait holder Hook, corn and a 12' leader with a bell sinker and let it sit on the bottom. Even if you have no idea if Carp are in that lake or not? What parts of the lake do you usually find Carp in? Do most lake have Carp in them? I am thinking like Nokomis in South Minneapolis .. From shore...should I bother?

Originally Posted By: Alan
should I bother?

Yes, Yes you should bother! I am pretty sure that EVERY lake in the area has carp and they can be a blast. I use a smaller #6 circle hook with a few niblets of corn on. But I think your setup would be great too. Carp are extremely active in the metro right now. Yesterday I was kayaking around a lake in New Brighton and seriously saw at least a hundred carp getting frisky in the shallows. They were either spawning or ruttin' around in the muck looking for food.

Oh yes. Nokomis has 'em. I've seen them all up and down the West side shoreline. Some of them look like real bruisers. Your rig should work fine, you just won't need as much weight as in the river. Personally, if I were fishing Nokomis right now I'd try a Lindy rig with a blown up crawler. The carp would definitely eat it and you might pick up a Walleye or Largemouth. good luck keeping the Bullheads away,though.

I fish Nokomis a lot, and there are some boomer carp in there. I've caught them up to 15#, and lost a few bigger ones. Most lakes in Minneapolis have carp, it's just a matter of which lakes have the most and biggest.

I agree with Joe's Kid about inflating a crawler. Anything to get the bait off the bottom, even just a couple inches. It doesn't completely keep the bullheads away, but it helps. I used a half a crawler on a floating jighead last week, and it worked pretty well. Corn is also a great bait, of course, as well as oatmeal.

If you keep your eyes and ears open, you'll figure out where they are. They've been shallow and making lots of commotion lately, so they've been easy to find. Good luck. Maybe I'll run into you out there sometime.

I know a couple good carp spots in the area, if you wanna PM me.

Originally Posted By: HuskerBen

I know a couple good carp spots in the area, if you wanna PM me.

Can't PM on here, but I am very curious on some good spots..I think in my profile you can email me...hope to hear from you..

And thanks for the info..

Last time out I found em shallow and threw out the corn without any sinker at all. 3/4 of em hit it as it slowly sunk but who knows if it zoomed by they may have gone down and grabbed it too.