• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A little bit of carpin (pics)

I headed out in the sprinkles yesterday to a little lake west of the metro. The carp were crowded in the shallows, cruising all over the place. I sight fished these guys by pitching corn just 10 feet from shore. I caught three fish in 3 casts and then it slowed down a bit. I think the fish thrashing around on the line spooked the others.

First one about 10lbs.

IMG_1116.jpg

4lbs maybe

IMG_1117.jpg

7lbs or so

IMG_1118.jpg

Man i bet thats why it got so slow last time i was out, 3-4 like nothing and then it just died. Couple hours later 2 more, then nothing. Thanks for the info!

Yeah that is very interesting I read that somewhere last year and it explained why I only caught 3 or 4 carp in about 15 minutes then nothing for a long time.

carp also release pheromones to attract other carp to to school up and congregate. They'll often use this tactic during periods of low dissolved oxygen in the winter; carp will school up and open up a hole through the ice with all the current, to get more oxygen into the water.

There have been a few pheromone studies done on carp; they're very interesting...

They are very clever fish... people talk trash about em but I think sight fishing for carp in clear water is just as tough as bonefishing, and just as fun

Ah very interesting tidbits. My brother is a student at the U of M in the fisheries biology program. One of his professors, Dr. Peter Sorenson, is a carp guru and does all sorts of research into carp pheromones. He was the one who developed the pheromone attractant for lamprey in the Great Lakes. He's working on trying to do the same thing with carp in order to remove them from our lakes.