• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Husky jerk-baits not swimming straight

I have about 5 different husky jerk-baits and for some reason they all seem to track to the side just a bit. I tie directly to the split ring and most of them are pretty new. Is it common to have to adjust these right out of the box?

you may have to hand tune your baits, running a hair to the left, slight touch on the nose to the left, running to the right tap a little to the left. Not sure why, but it seeams like the plastic raps (glass shad, some HJ's) are most finnicky, I check them next to the side of the boat. If ya don't want to mess w/ those baits, you can mail them to me, I'll dispose of them properly!

I find that pretty commom for those Rapala Husky jerk-baits, plastic ones. I don't fish them with steady retrieve anymore...they're better for the typical retrive and pause twitch rythm.

Becuase jerk-bait baits, depends so much more on water flow around the bait to impart action, if it starts going left, it will always lean left to say. I think that's called fluid mechanics...

It's all in the shape and size of the spoon design. jerk-baits differs from cranks, as cranks does their best performance on the retrieve.

what differance does it make if they run straight. they run so erratic anyway when you jerk-bait them. I fish them quite a bit this time if the year, and they run differant with mono or brade

I remember the IN FISHERMAN had something on this problem a few months back. I think they recommended removing the split ring and putting on a snap lock instead. If I recall the problem was that the split ring turned around when being trolled or retrieved and where the ring splits it sometimes got tangled and wedged in the line and this caused it to run off center.

Tight Lines;

Uncle Kes

Otter,

I had read that direct tieing to the notch in the split ring will help reduce the notch from hitting the eye of the bait and causing it to run out of tune. Makes sense..not sure if really makes a difference or not.

Nearly all cranks at some point in there life will come out of tune.

About 1 in 4 Husky jerk-baits I've found have been off a bit. Cranks will also come out of tune during use, hitting rocks for example.

Before any of my Husky jerk-baits hit the water, I remove the split ring from them, and then check their tune alongside the boat. All you have to do is sweep your rod tip forward trying to pull the bait in as straight a line as possible. If the crank pulls to the left, right, or blows out of the water, you'll have to do some fine tuning.

There are a number of ways to connect a Husky jerk-bait to your line and one very popular option is with a Duolock snap. Here's an image:

i113061sq03.jpg

A snap like this allows for quick and easy lure and color changes, and it also will not hinder a crankbaits action. A very wise fisherman also tipped me off to using different size Duolock snaps. A step up or down in size from what you are using will have a slight affect on the side to side wobble of these baits. Its a way of fine tuning the action.