• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marine Radio

LakeTahoe

I got a boat that already has a marine radio in it... I read the manual so I know how to use it basically... but I am confused on what Channels I should be listening to or using... you know like if I am on the big waters like Leech, Winnie, Red, ML...

Seems like all the channels are reserved for something, or does that only apply to coastal waters? Can anyone break it down for me?

16 is the emergency channel, I think (not sure) that on coast guard waters you are supposed to monitor 16, and can hail on it, but need to go to other channels for conversation.

Around here, most of the radios seem to stay on channels like 69-72 and maybe a few others.

If your radio has a scan function you can monitor channels to pick up conversations. Also, the weatherband channels are nice to have.

Perch Jerker is correct that channel 16 is the emergency channel. However, on Coast Guard waters they would like you to monitor it in case someone reports an emergency situation but you are not supposed to use it for anything other than comminication related to an emergency. The hailing channel is channel 9. Regarding which channels to listen to on which waters, it varies. Sometimes ypu just need to listen to different channels on new waters to pick up where people are talking.Channels 67,68,69 and 72 are good ones to start monitoring for fishing related chatter. Also, the resort you stay at can often tell you which channels their regular customer use to communicate.