• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

power inverters???

I'm wondering if you can use a power inverter to charge up a trolling motor battery? I take alot of 3 day fishing trips and I'm sick of having a dead trolling motor battery after two days. If they do work for charging trolling motor batteries, which one should I get? Size?

I'm assuming that you want to somehow use your car/truck battery to charge your trolling motor battery. If this is the case, just make sure that you run your vehicle to keep that battery recharged!

The first thing to do is check out how much power is required to run your battery charger. The next step then is to buy a power inverter that can easily handle that load. If you buy an inverter that can't handle the power requirements of whatever you plug in, then you'll blow the fuse. I did that while trying to run a deep fryer off of my truck battery while tailgating.

I hope that this helps. Otherwise, there are solar chargers that you could use or ways to channel power from your boat motor to your deep-cycle battery.

i think that lonewolf is saying that he has no electric to plug into when he is out of town. I think a inverter would work I also know that minnkota makes a charger that runs of your boat motor to charge the trolling batts butt I think they are pretty spendy.

Yeah, I spend a lot of time camping at Mantrap and Northstar. There's no electric hookups at these campgrounds. I need a way to charge my trolling motor battery when I'm on a long fishing trip. I seen Cabela's has a Minn Kota charger that uses your motor to charge your trolling motor battery. Cost around $100. Think I'm going to try this first, then maybe a solor one or even maybe buy a generator. My last option would be to buy another battery and always take two batteries with me.

Wolf:

Make sure you check your output from your big motor before putting in the charger that runs off the big motor. If your big motor doesn't crank out enough juice to recharge your starting battery as well as the trolling motor batteries, you aren't gaining anything. Don't know what you run for a rig, but if you have a motor like an Opti, they crank out plenty of juice.