• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rant!

Slyster

/rant on

Yesterday I was fishing for crappies with my kids... C&R... and I went to my 'secret hump' and was catching them left and right... very soon.. 7 boats were so close I actually crossed lines with one.. and another boat drifted so close I had to push the boat away from me (didn't want them to start their motor) and everyone was keeping everything they caught.. and people were tossing cigarette butts into the water.

Is this still the 1970's or what?

/rant over

Patiently waiting for bass season.

Yea it sucks when people creep in on your spots. No excuse if you were there first and they were close enough to cross lines. As for the Cigarettes they got to start giving more littering tickets or something you see people throwing them out everywhere without a care in the world. Bass season getting close I got the itch to get out to.

Naw.. Only thing I said was just "Don't start your motor you will spook the fish... I'll push you."..... crazy.

I really should have said something to those putting butts into the water... even my 8 y/o boy said something to me about them... I'm a wimp!

one time i was fishing something like you were all by myslef and a guy came over to me and got so close when he turned to the right the back side of his boat side swiped mine and now i have a line without paint on my boat it stinks!!!

Man, people are so inconsiderate. NO excuse for littering... at least you can make some sort of case for fishing close to somebody. I generally like to be nice and let people have their space, and expect mine in return

I think we have all been in a situation where you felt someone came in too close to where you were fishing. Happened to me yesterday. What do you all feel is a good distance to give the next guy?

I had a guy come in and run over my bobber once that was 10 feet from my boat, actually he parked right on top of it, I was in 3-4 feet of water in the spring fishing pannies. He was also the loudest jerk-bait I have ever heard on the lake.

Wow... I've never seen anything like that ever when I've been fishing!

Maybe I just stick to fishing more secluded places? Sometimes they aren't the best fishing spots, but I definitely prefer to have my fishing time be the time where I can get some space and get away from other people.

I had aguy try to hoard in on me I was casting up tream and letting the current puul the bait down to the fish was useing 1oz egg sinker to wait it down. Got so mad at the guy so I casted toword the guy. Casted a little hard I froze in dumbfoundment. and then thump, hit the guy right in the noggen. Guy said some choice words. then I just said Well you saw me casting there, why did you put your boat there. More words were exchanged saw I wasnt backing down then he left.

I felt prety dumb afterwords but hay invade someones space who knows what will happen.

Some people just were not born with common sense, and it is unfortunate that people think it's necessary to invade your space and get in on the fishing that YOU worked hard for. I would have had a hard time not saying anything, but I commend you Slyster on keeping your head...

I see this happening often enough...worse when I'm the shorefishing guy and someone parks their boat right of front of me...okay, plenty of open water for a watercraft to go anywhere but you have to pick the spot right in front of the shorefishing guy...

These are all good stories of a bad time but I'll tell you what I do if I feel that I was there alone by myself and a boat comes and zones in on me and looks at me like what are you going to do. I take out my fireline jig rod cast in front of there trolling motor let the line go into the trolling motor and let it wrap around it a few times tell it jams then cut your line and watch then curse and have a heck of a time. Only used once but worked well. Or I also just remember the boat and you might see them again all by themselves some other place. well then I stop by say high and sit right next to them like they did to me. It shouldn't have to resort to any of these though becuase people should give other people their own space. but like you guys said some people aren't born with common sense!

Originally Posted By: SledNeck
OMG! cigarette butts in the water?

Did u call homeland security?

slash_ani.gif

Cigarette butts are not like cigar butts... they have plastic etc.. they are not natural at all.. they just don't dissolve.. how can someone be an angler yet not care for the lake? I don't get it.

Originally Posted By: Slyster
 Originally Posted By: SledNeck
OMG! cigarette butts in the water?

Did u call homeland security?

slash_ani.gif

Cigarette butts are not like cigar butts... they have plastic etc.. they are not natural at all.. they just don't dissolve.. how can someone be an angler yet not care for the lake? I don't get it.

I wanted to comment on his post earlier when I saw it but i didnt. This is exactly the thinking that makes all of lakes look like junk IMO!

When we lived on small lake in the Alexandria area, we had a county commisioner for a neigboring county that lived across the lake from us. My wife and I were out bassin one night, he decided to take his whole family for a pleasure cruise. We were 50' ft off shore, casting in, there is no way he could have not seen what we were doing. He turned up his stereo, drove right between shore and us. He came very very close to wearing a Zara Spook as a head pc. If his kids would not have been in his boat, he would have. It is not worth jeopardizing his kids, they are just a product of their environment.

I guess, there is no written law regarding this, its just common courtesy. Since there is no law, people can and will continue to be rude. My buddy even did this to me as a joke one day. We were at his lake cabin having a mini tournament between us and he comes flying by about 20 feet away trying to swamp me. I cast at him, miss, gets caught in prop and snaps my line. Fries his prop seals. To this day I still dont feel bad. Doesnt matter who you are, you are getting a cast in your direction! crazy.gif

Couldn't agree more ... trash is trash. I assume people that throw their butts in the water use ash trays at home and not toss them on their floor. They should treat the environment with the same respect.

I live on the lake and don't feel that I should have to pick up discarded butts off my shore line and whatever else inconsidered people are chucking in the water. Honestly how hard is it to put them in an empty beverage can or ash try, then discard at the boat landing.

This sounds like Tonka, or Mille Lacs or .... too bad this is a common occurrence and I won't do that, but it happens to me a few times a year and words will be exchanged and sometimes casts in their direction. Bass guys do this a lot and I'm a bass guy. [PoorWordUsage]