• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fireline?

Fishin' Daddy

I spooled a reel with fireline, about two years ago. I was not impressed, now I have a spool of it and I don't know what to do with it. Could anyone give me some suggestions, fishing or otherwise? Would you use it for a jigging line, trolling line, other tactics? Strip the reel and put on mono? I'd hate to scrap it, because of the cost, but I want to get some use out of it. Thanks for the help.

great jigging line...feel the bite immediattly since there is no stretch.....I have been casting some small plastics with fireline and it is ok at casting....

What problems are you having with it? Has the line been used much, and what is the # test/diameter (e.g. 10/4).

I use fireline on some of my reels and like it. Can be a little stiff at first, and can frey after a lot of use (solved by cutting off the worn line).

I'm not as used to tying polomar knots, plus I can't get used to the "no stretch" thing. I almost feel like, when I get a strike, I'm pulling the hook right out of the fish's mouth, instead of setting the hook. Maybe I'm just not used to it. Would you use it as a regular line with any type of presentation?

I don't use Fireline (or similar) in very many situations. I use it for casting cranks, for trolling cranks, and for some of my livebait rigging or jigging if in deeper water. I'm not really a fan of it for other applications.

I mostly use it for trolling cranks and jigging. If you feel like you're missing strikes when jigging, wait a 2 count before you set the hook. The no stretch sometimes makes you think the fish has it more solidly than it does, but for trolling and jigging, I love it.

I've also used it for tossing spinnerbaits, cranks, etc. through heavy cover. Never had any issues with it.

Maybe you should try Power Pro is you're looking to use a braid. It's a little limper than Fireline, but it's just as strong.

I use it for everything on the open water, but I had too many issues with it freezing during the winter. I haven't had any issues with it thus far for open water.

The other thing about setting the hook is that because you don't have any stretch you don't need to set it that hard. Actually if you just reel down and pull you should be just fine. When jigging I was tending to pull it right out of their mouth by setting the hook too hard.

I use fireline for just about everything walleye related. I use it exclusively for jigging, and love it. No stretch, very sensitive, and incredibly strong...even when frayed. When jigging, I typically use a stinger hook, and I set the hook pretty hard without losing very many, BUT, I do wait a bit and don't set the hook immediately. If I do, I tend to lose more fish. If the temp is at or near freezing, use the black instead of the crystal...it makes a big difference. But I do agree, when it's really cold, it freezes and is kind of annoying.

It's also great for trolling cranks...the small diameter gets it down deep, and quick. I also use it for rigging, but I typically use a mono leader.

The one real drawback is that it tends to stick to itself...hard to untangle once it gets tangled. I don't like it for casting spinnerbaits for instance.

Some people don't like it because it is so strong, once snagged, it's hard to get loose. I look at it the other way. I rarely lose any baits with it. With a good knot, your hooks will straighten, or you will pull in whatever you're snagged on before that line will break.

For me, the positives definitely outweigh the negatives.

I wouldn't use it for trolling-no stretch so you are apt to rip the bait/lure out of the mouth of your catch-if you are trolling. It is very good for jigging or a slip-bobber rig-picks up the light biters w/more feel/sensitivity than mono, etc..

I've just started using the new Fireline XDS. It has a smoother round profile and doesn't fray like the original. Seems to seat better on the spool without digging in and it's supposed to be colorfast so hopefully no more gray fingers from handling line. I haven't used powerpro but they look similar. I was a big fan of the original when it first came out but learned a few lessons the hard way with cuts, broken rods and flying lures sailing back at my head from docks and trees. Haven't tried it in the sub-zero, but hopefully it won't freeze.

Quote:
I almost feel like, when I get a strike, I'm pulling the hook right out of the fish's mouth, instead of setting the hook.

You probably just answered your own question.

Bob

Great stuff, I use it for everything. My favorite thing is the flat profile that actually gets your cranks deeper while trolling. Big advantage on the lake I fish.

My only exception is to use fluoro when visibility really matters.

I also use braids for almost everything.....especially trolling live bait rigs and jigging walleyes (mainly all I fish). I just can't stand the stretch in mono and the sensitivity it seems to lose. On cranks I will usually use a fluorocarbon leader. I was using Fireline for a few years but last year I switched to Power Pro. Not sure if I really noticed a difference.

Word of warning ... once you get use to fireline or any braided line for that matter, going back to mono is real difficult. After using fireline on most of my rods, I put red mono on a reel to see how it worked (back when there was a lot of hype on the red lines), I couldn't believe the amount of stretch mono adds when you try to set the hook or try to create additional action on your crankbaits.

The money alone u save with fireline should be justification enough. Plus you can differeciate between the start of a snag or a bite alot better and can act accordingly.

I always tie a 6' to 8' mono leader to fireline and power pro, even if i'm using it for lindy rigging, it acts as a shock absorber and your hooking percentage should increase. More knots will decrease your line strength but if you use a double uni-knot it shouldn't decrease it much. I use fireline for the sensitivity and not the strength...my first summer experimenting with it I didn't use the leader and missed a lot of fish...not sure if it was coincidence or not but once I started using the mono leader my catch rates increased.

Here is my 2 cents.

The newer, super lines have corrected the

digging in and color fastness problems

that were found in the first runs of line produced.

What I found works for me, has been the switch back to

the fiberglass rods for live baiting and jigging. I really

like the Ugly Stick Lite II rods. They have a fast taper,

and the sensitivity is there as well. A bonus is they won't

cost you as much as those graphites, and we all know

how tough the "sticks" are. No more broken rods during any

kind of hook set or for those unfortunate accidents that

seem to occur to the graphite units.#@@!@ $$$$$$$$$$.

Ha, Ha, Ha. grin.gif

Two years old and I bet it still casts like new. I'll even bet it doesn't coil like mono.

I have rods with fireline on from last year and I don't think I'll put new like on them this year. I fish 16+ hours a week in the summer!

The only rod I have with mono on is my 10' steelhead rod that I use for corkin'. 4lb test mono on that one. I use it once or twice a year.

Trolling. Casting cranks. Casting popers. Casting swimbait. Casting jigs. Walking the dog. Just a quick pop with the rod tip and the hook is set. Trolling, the fish set the hook for me.

The good thing about Fireline is; You don't need the BIG MONSTER hook set you see Pro Bass fisherman use. Heck you might as well send up a bottle rocket and start yelling hey, we cought a fish!

Did you know that Pro Bass fishermen change there mono every night when they use a rod to catch fish that day?

If you only fish 2 or 3 time a year use fireline. you may never have to put new line on that reel again!