• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crawlers in May

I'm considering whether or not to bring a flat of crawlers along for a trip to Morson from May 20th through May 23rd. Does anyone have any experience with using crawlers at that time of year?

I've tried crawlers with spinners and 1/2 crawlers with jigs in May. Neither did much at all. We've done best with minnows, of course, and leeches to a lesser degree.

I also like to use Gulp crawlers up there - I don't bother with live crawlers or leeches anymore. I use the 5" Gulp leeches and their pumpkin seed crawlers.

I have two very good friends who have places in the Morson area. They both use nothing but crawlers from opening day until the end of October. One drags bottom bouncers and spinner rigs, the other vertcal jigs. Both do extremely well all year long.

Dick

Originally Posted By: dmoore
I have two very good friends who have places in the Morson area. They both use nothing but crawlers from opening day until the end of October. One drags bottom bouncers and spinner rigs, the other vertcal jigs. Both do extremely well all year long.

Dick

I have very good luck with crawlers, but generally not until June. I've caught walleyes on them around opener, but not as many as minnows or leeches. If they're not taking minnows, try leeches and crawlers . . .

We do very good on crawlers, but it is late june through late august. We will be trying some gulp minnows this spring and expect to do very well.

Just never had any luck on crawlers early.

Used crawlers once for walleyes on the south shore of LOTW but it was slow that day. Just never really bothered with using crawlers for walleyes up around Morson. Only used minnows and leeches as far as live bait goes for walleyes. had good fishing with Gulp and other soft baits even thru the ice. I plan to be fishing with Wildthing on Memorial Weekend. Might have to work in a day of laker fishing in there too that weekend. I was out and about in the boat with my dad and just out the mouth of the Big Grassy river ( Morson area ) there was ice and plenty of it. Need some warm winds out of the south to get rid of that ice. Good luck with the crawlers. Never know til you try them. Brian