• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tilt&trim 1981 merc

Question

I have just replaced my tilt amd trim motor and valve assembly. I have all the lines on correct and have filled the pump and run the pump "it works" motor goes up and down "but" when it is in the up position it will drop to full down in about an hour. I would like to know if their is a trick to fill and bleed the pump and lines everything seals tight and I have no leaks. I used 20w oil like it says to with out detergent. The motor is a 1981 merc 115 the pump has 4 lines under it with 2 cylinders to raise the motor. Pump is used and worked when it was taken off other motor.

9 answers to this question

Redfisher, check your pump, it should have a knob (small cylinder with grooves on it) on top, turn it all the way one way or the other, it's used to lower your motor if it gets stuck in Up position. If it doesn't work, bad news, you might need a rebuild kit for your cylinders, it's not tough if you have some mechanical experience.

Val

The screw is a the way left which is in the closed position and none of the lines seem to be leaking cylinders look ok too. I might have to just replace the seals and see it that dose the trick. It will hold the motor up just above full down. I think it is messing with me now.

It might be seals inside cylinders, you can also try to push motor down when it's up, if it lowers, you have confirmation.

Funny, my pump says 10w30 motor oil on it. I asked to other people and they all have different tags, some 30w, some Auto Trans fluid....

I changed the trim/tilt in a newer Merc. and to bleed the lines all I had to do is lower and raise it about 20-30 times removing the fill cap after each cycle. This is what my manual said to do to bleed the air out. It said that if it lowers by itself you probably have air in the lines. Something to try before tearing it apart. Good Luck.

Well I rebuilt the cylinders and blead it how the directions said and it still falls I think the boat has it in for me. I give up. It is for sale and their is a pic on http://www.bookooboats.com/index.htm anyone with a good offer can have it every thing else works fine, it is a great boat but the tilt and trim hates me.

the boat is under bass than under 0-10,000 about 1/2-2/3 way down page. My E-mail has changed and they have not up dated it yet. It should be done soon.

[This message has been edited by redfisher (edited 08-19-2002).]