• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Research on Outboards

Cove

Question

The preceding Post by Bird dog is just the sort of thing I am seeking input on but didn't want to distract from his specific questions on specific boat and motor.
I am in search mode for a new rig and want to focus on the outboard situation. Just "discovered" this Equipment segment of the Forum.
Things have changed since I cashed in my last rig in the late 90s. I know enough to know I want the optimum motor in the 60-90 hp range defined as able to troll slow e.g.trolling on Great Lakes, fuel efficient, quiet, easy start, clean burn.
The shop I prefer to do business with sells Evinrude, Johnson and Yamaha. My buddy sings the praises of his Suzuki 70 hp.
What can you tell me?

5 answers to this question

Cove - 1st and foremost these engine purchases should be whatever we like - they are to me like art - if it makes you feel good buy it.

It’s like Ford vs Chev and the world keeps turning ... I have a Suzuki 60hp 4-stroke tiller haven’t driven it enough to brag or complain, but I like it. I captain an 80’ dinner cruise boat powered by two ‘99 year 70hp 4-stroke Evinrude’s (Suzuki’s basically) and they have run flawlessly since they were installed. These engines are run 6 days [May thru Sept]a week for about 6hrs a day @ about 4000 RPM mostly and we’ve never had a problem ... not one. They are very quiet, sip fuel, and run clean. Having said this - I’m sure there are tails of woe out there also.

Major 4-stroke builders are Honda; Yamaha (helps w/Mercury 4‘s); Suzuki (helps w/Evinrude/Johnson 4’s); Nissan builds a few also. All dependable and each with it’s own pros and cons. Comes down to whatever floats your boat; what your budget is; what your use is; but above all a good dealership - one that you are comfortable with as it’s the after sale relationship that is the most important. A number of dealerships may sell the most or claim to sell the most engines but this alone does not translate into best continuing service or service at all.

So, whatever lights your fire is the unit to go with .... happy motoring and tight lines <“)))><

BB-LDF

No problem Cove ... just my experiences and opinions with one mfg's engines. I would think others have similar experiences with their units. Anyone can get a bad "Ford or Chevy" this is where Mr. Dealer comes into the picture ... how the picture turns out depends on the quality of the "paint".

BB-LDF

Cove,
I'm in the market for my FIRST bass boat and even though I've operated a lot of boats in the past, I've found a web site that has proven to be invaluable for technical info (setup,problem solving, etc.) for every known brand of boat and outboard. It also includes forums for opinions (likes and dislikes) for different brands as well and they are neatly divided into brand names. It's "Bass Boat Central". Check it out. Let me know if you like it.
StephenDawg

------------------

Stephendawg,
Many thanks for the tip on Bass Boat Central. Ahh, the wonders of the internet.
I enjoy the research almost as much as the purchase so thanks for adding to the pleasure and thanks again BayouBill.