• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lac seul

hopefully my prediction is completely wrong, hopefully a complete 180. For me it always seemed if I had a good opener in MN, my canada trip was usually pretty good. I know every lake and every year is different, and that is fishin'. Very jealous here at home, wish I had firm plans made to come back up. Some freinds are on their way to hudson this morning, tommorrow dad leaves for basket lake east of dryden. I NEED to make plans soon so I can make it before those fish flies come out and fill their bellies. Do you guys think that with a late ice out the bug hatch will be later too? maybe midjuly? instead of late june?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any report on water levels? The water is really high on the reservoirs in northern MN. but I have not seen anything on Lac Seul. I would asume the water temps are in the low fortys but with the ice it will not warm up very soon. We're heading up June 7 and can't wait.

Zaraspooks- Thanks for the report. We have our usual group going up to Chamberlain Narrows starting June 21st. I always bring salted minnows along, but I was also thinking of trying the new gulp alive leaches this year. It sounds like you didn't have as much success with them. The water will be warmer when I'm there, so the gulp leaches might do a little better? I'm going to give it a try anyway. Can't wait!!

fish head, we go up the first week of June every year and fish up around Taylors Island, up to Tuckweet... I know I spelled that wrong, but it sounds that way. We use almost exclusive Gulp from the 4 inch pogeys and swim tails to the 5 inch leaches and barely use live bait.

I leave on Friday and can't wait. I will post a book report when I return!!!

Zaraspooks- Thanks for the report. We have our usual group going up to Chamberlain Narrows starting June 21st. I always bring salted minnows along, but I was also thinking of trying the new gulp alive leaches this year. It sounds like you didn't have as much success with them. The water will be warmer when I'm there, so the gulp leaches might do a little better? I'm going to give it a try anyway. Can't wait!!

I want to try salting minnows this year to save some cash. can you guys chime in on your way of doing that on the thread in this canadien forum?

Well we got back last Friday and was that a blast. Houseboating is the only way to go! Weather, we had evrything from snow high winds blue skys and calm waters. Fishing was really good. Morning bite was slow but the afternoon and evening made up for it. Can't even begin to count how many 23-24" fish we caught as a group. At one point 2 of us had 10 between 4 and 5 lbs in a half hour. The hardest was finding the fish below the slot.

As far as minnows we froze shiners in borax and does that ever work good. There were some guys fishing next to us using live bait and they weren't having near the luck we were. 2 bad things about the trip. 1 have to wait a year to go again and 2 just isn't quite as fun around here after that. Forgot one thing, the chip I bought worked great. Problem was my depthfinder decided to take a dump when we were 35 miles away from hudson. Not good!!! Luckily we had a handheld with that the chip worked in otherwise we would have been up Lac Seul without a paddle.

Good luck to all that go.

George

There are a lot of different recipes for salting minnows. What I do is drain the minnows good, I lay them on a big towel for a quick minute and pat dry. Than I put them in a LARGE bowl, sprinkle them with canning salt & borax. Than put them in small zip lock freezer bags and put in the freezer. Good Luck!

I am headed to Lac Seul for the first time the weekend of 7-12. We will be at White Wing resort. It looks like it is on the West end. Mostly afer eyes but may try chucking for pike &bass. If any one has any tips, I'd apprectiate the help. The group has been going for a few years but it is my first. I'll post when I get back if if any one is interested in our results. I do have a new Navioncs canada chip but have concerns about rocks etc. since I'll be running my boat.

snakes, I will be staying about a half mile down the beach from you.we will be there 7/11 thru 7/16... this will be our 3rd year going there and we have found a few spots.... u bringing your own boat? if so do you have a marine band, it would bve kind of nice to have others to compare notes with. you can shoot me an email if you want. bigtimeelectricllc@yahoo

Just returned from 4 days on Lac Seul. The fishing was as good as ever. We averaged 150+ per boat per day. I still can't get over how hard a Lac Seul walleye pulls. A 16" walleye pulls like a 20+ any where else. They were hitting on minnows best followed by crawlers but on a hot bite, the plastics worked fine with no down time to re-bait.

The navionics chip shows a lot but not everything. You need to watch carefully. There is a LOT of floating wood debris all over the lake due to high water levels.

Pink & white jigs seemed to turn the most fish in the cloudy water while blue & white worked best in the clear water. They wanted a SLOW presentation. If you have a drift sock, use it.

We were way up into McKenzie Bay and into Broad and Sunlight lakes. 12-14 feet seemed to be the magic depth for the bigger fish but they were anywhere from 6-16 FOW.

Barbless hooks are not required on Lac Seuel (Ontario).

In areas that are (Manitoba) any hook that is tied to fishing line on a fishing rod must have the barb flattened, regardless if you are fishing with it or not.

marine_man

We got there Sat AM, fished Sat Sun Mon. Monday was the best day. We mostly used 3/8 fire balls. Blue/white and Chartreuse were better than the other colors we tried. Minows out fished the gulp minows. Fishing was a bit slow. The best bites we found were in McKenzie Bay. We heard the some people were slaugtering them in Sawmill bay but we never made it there. There was definately a may fly hatch going on. Sun night when the waves calmed down we could see them by the thousands on the surface. We did not have the 150 fish days that I have heard about. I think we were closer to 30 per day in my boat. Some did better, some much worse. For most of us, it was our first time there. That was a definate factor. A few basics, run aluminum props only, and zoom in on the GPS when navigating. If you are zoomed out too far, you cant see the + signs. That is where the rocks are! Watch for floating logs. They are thick in some areas. We did see one capsized and abandoned boat. We later learned that everyone survived it. Seeing that was a good reminder that the lake could eat you up if you let your guard down. We travled in some 4' waves which was interesting. Water temps were in the low 60s.

snakes I was looking for you but didnt see you.anyway I also heard about that bass boat that was capsized I guess they got it flipped over and ran it the rest the weak.I couldn't imagine having a bass boat on that lake. anyway we just got back today and the last couple days have been gorgeous up there but my goodness the wknd was nasty we were there for six days and had raingear on at somepoint everyday. the floaters were plenty I talked to a guy that hit a good sized one in the center and busted it in half didn't hurt his boat. all in all an awesome time again and hats off to our lodge gawleys little beaver what excellent cabins and services can't say enough good.......

We saw the flipped boat on Sun eve on the way back from McKenzie. It was an ominus sight after dealing with four footers fri and heading out to Mc in a big tail wind on Sun Morn. Lucky for us it calmed down for the drive back that night. We ran into the people recovering the boat on Mon AM. They said they lost it off an island or some how lost it Fri in the storm. They had to wait till the weather calmed down to get it back.They had it running Mon night. It was a long tow from south steam boat to the next dock north of us. It was a Pro Craft.

I honked at a boat like yours in ghost one day. But later saw a canadian boat like yours at white wing. Did you fish a mid lake hump in steamboat or was that the canadians too? We did not catch a ton of fish but most of us had fun! How did you guys do? I bet it got good Tuesday.

that could,ve been us we fished all over, but never tried the ghost narrows, were they good? we caught our biggest fish within sight of camp which was 25" fishin was slow overall but we seen bigger fish this year which is fine in my book..yeah sunday we fished the wenasaga and lunker point areas we weren't to excited about running 20 miles in that wind..