• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lac seul

Starting to worry, 8 of us have a houseboat trip planned for Lac Seul May 24-31. Anybody have any ice conditions of the lake. Heard they got 10 or so inches of snow over the weekend. Any info sure would be helpful.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt start to worry yet, you got about a 4 weeks before your trip. Alot can happen between now and May 24. Thats the 2nd week of the walleye season as it opens this year May 17. I dont know exactly what Lac Seul is doing for ice but we did get a bunch of snow around the area.

I don't think you have to worry about those dates for LS. i was monitoring a different HSOforum for info. and most think with the latest wind and rain they got that it should break up before LS's opener on the 17th. I bet its off around MN's opener. good luck! have you been before? i'll be up there on the east side the last week of June, can't wait. It will be my 6th year going at least once a year there.

I realize it is a little early to worry, but with the weather we have had around here it makes you wonder. Last weekend we got about 20" of new snow and I know they got about 10 up there. Ten day forcast calls for highs in the 40's and lows below freezing. Thats not going to help much. Hope the wind and rain you're talking about comes true.

The group I go with have gone up there for years. This will be my 3rd trip. Last year we stayed at a resort in Sioux Lookout dropped in at deception landing and boated about 30 miles one way to where we fished. This year we thought the houseboat would be fun. One trip, anchor up and use that as a base camp. If you hear any more post it. Thanks

George, I board my houseboat in Hudson on the 1st. I wouldn't worry. We have been doing the first week of June for quite some time. May I ask where you are starting from, and where you plan to shore up while there?

Muc, we start out of Hudson at Lac Seul Floating Lodges. From there we want to go up by bear narrow. Can't remember the bay that we'll pull up in, but from there it isn't to far to where we want to go.

Want to make sure we don't forget something. Anything you would recommend to bring that you might not think of. I heard bring an extra generator for charging the boat batteries. Does a better job then the ones on the houseboat.

George, I just might be taking over your boat when I load up!!! Dave and Irene are first class people and a joy to deal with. We stay on Taylors Island and fish quite a few areas. We have never brought a spare generator, and we have up to 4 boats on the 75 footer, and 3 on the super 65 I stay in. We are goin up this year with 5 boats and 16 people. We take one day and packup the cooker and goodies and head to Tuckweet (I know I speelled that wrong but it sounds right) and then come out the channel and have shore lunch around the first bend at a moose camp there. It is so beautiful up there it is amazing. I am waiting to meet a sasquatch some day!!!

Some of our crew have been going up for 20 years! I can't wait. T-minus 30 days!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have any more questions feel free to fire away!

One thing I found works great. We use electric knives... so we clean on the back end of the houseboat. We bring a fold up ironing board with a screwed on long piece of plastic 1 inch thick piece to clean fish on. Two guys can clean at a time and you can then plug right into the generator. Bucket the carcasses and then when done, feed the eagles by dumping on beach, and have the camera ready!!!!! True beauty to watch!

To Everyone that is heading up to lac seul: The best way to get conditions on the ice - is to call the resort you are staying at. They should have the best first hand info for their section of the lake.

Good Luck

Not much help here. Still iced up, that I do know. I was able to fly our little plane from Sioux Lookout to Dryden today. Wabigoon has lots of ice yet, only a few areas on the lake where there is water to use to land. 1 of which right in front of our docks luckily (with the help of breaking it up today earilier in the boat). Pelican in Sioux still had ice except for right at Frog Rapids with all the current. And for the little lake right beside the airport where I took off from. Lac Suel and every lake on the way home had ice on it. Cant tell how strong the ice is, should go fast in my opinion but we'll see.

Zaraspooks hey were heading to chamberlain narrows for opener too this weekend. we were planning on pulling the tyee from bemidji here, but i think were gonna drive to Sioux lookout and fly in. My buddys old man built a cabin at the resort there and can go there and stay for free whenever he wants. the guy that his dad built the cabin with flies his float plane from crystal, mn up there a few times a summer. i guess he said that we can hop in his plane for nothing so if there is still ice up were gonna do that. were staying in cabin VIP #1 so if you get up there swing on by and have a few with us.

Pulling-M-In

We have a group of 20 coming in. Half in the VIP next to your cabin and I'll be in VIP #4 (the old store). We talked to Ken Saturday and it sure sounds like a lot of ice. They got the crew into camp via the winter road. I guess the Chamberland Narrows has open water and the ice is starting to break free in Deception Bay. Ken is going to try and use the barge to break some ice. He figurs that Anderson's Camp needs to get their boats in so working together, they might get a path out. Who knows, we may need to fly in also. Ken is going to call us back tomorrow and give us an update. I'll let you know what he says.

Pulling-M-In

Got the call last night that Ken was able to make it to Bear Narrows and I think it's open from there. They want us at the Deception Bay landing at noon on Friday. We're going in!!!!

Zaraspooks,

If you could post the conditions and how you did when you return, it would be appreciated. i won't be there until the end of June but my father-in-law is coming in 2 weeks and would like to know how things look around there.

thanks

Thanks Muc!

Leave about 3:00 Sat morning for the long trek north. Can't wait. Don't remember if I told you or not but found the lake chip and is that ever nice. Should make the route up alot easier. Shows buoys, which side to go on and submersible rocks. Granted the rocks part will be detemined by water level but it looks like it will be a good guide. Debating on whether or not to hire the guide for the route up. I think I still have your emails. There is a phone number on it, wondering if you would mind a call. Good luck to you guys as well. If we don't leave early we will maybe see when we get off and you get on. We'll give you a report on how things went.

See ya

George

Sounds great, do you still have my number? It is on my email you got from me at my work. If not, email my work tomorrow and I will get it back to you. And call me when you land the houseboat. We board Sunday at 1pm. So we should be meeting!!! My truck is a puter Chevy Duramax it will be pulling a Brand spanking new Ranger!!!! not mine but it excites me just the same. I will actually be going up a day early and fishing for Lake Trout on Burntside outside of Ely on the 31st then spending the night in Ifalls, then getting up on the 1st and driving to Hudson. Call when you land the houseboat! Well call me tomorrow too.

You guys that are on your way up soon are lucky, fishing may be down a little from other years, but nothing beats a walleye trip into the canadian bush. If any of you guys need a extra guy around camp to take care of breakfast and dinner let me know I'll be available to come along with you and help out as needed. If interested I can pack and be ready in about 30 minutes. I hope you all find some fish and have a warm dry trip. Have a blast and leave a few up their for me, I hope a can find a way to make it up there again this year.

Magnum, from our conversations, George bought the Navionics Gold Canada chip I believe. I too use the Navionics but I use an older version I think he just purchased the 06 or 07 Navionics chip, they are wonderful if you are traveling on your own on Lac Seul, with the chip I successfully navigated the Super 65 houseboat myself for the first year 6 1/2 hours to Taylors Island because LS last year was about 4 1/2 feet low the first week of June. Hopefully our water levels this year allow us to take the shortcut.

Youngie, why do you think the fishing will be slower? Finding fish has NEVER been an issue. Eating enough fish everyday so we can continue to fish is sometimes the issue, but never finding fish.

Well it was an experience we will never forget. We got to the access before 12 noon as requested which meant we had to leave home by 1:30 am. Got there about 11:30 and got word that they guys were breaking ice from camp down to the landing. With nothing to do but wait, the drinking began. Finally left the access with loaded boats about 3:30pm. The trip started out fine but soon turned interesting. We ran into ice some as thick as 2 feet. Not sure how much ice we broke but the usual 1 hour trip turned into 4 hours. I was in the main barge and there were many of times we went on top of the ice and had to reverse, back off, and hit it again to break through. Once up near camp, we could get anywhere we wanted. Coming back on Tuesday, we only broke ice for a short period of time to make the trip in 1 3/4 hours. Got to go but will report on the fishing later.

Looks like everybody has been busy posting today, YA WHO!! AS far as the chip is concerned what I bought was the Navionics Premium Hotmaps 2007. Could have bought in Fargo for $79 at the "S" All Sports. ( Not sure if you can mention store names) Ended up buying it on line from the big "C". Was alittle bit more there. For the cost of gas it didn't pay to go back to Fargo. Put it in the depth finder and was really impressed. Shows nav route buoys and which side to go on as well as some underwater rocks. WE had planned to hire guide, really don't think need to now.

Spook,

Come on, can't leave us hanging like that. Sounds like an interesting trip up. How far did you go and if you don't mind what areas did you fish? What worked,didn't,depth, and fish many? Also how was the border?

Muc,

Sorry no call today. Nuts at work. Alot to do before leaving. Tomorrow I'll give you a call. From your earlier post sounds like we will miss you at the dock. We'll be in either Friday Saturday and you show up Sunday. Pumped can't wait. 32 hrs and counting. Sad part is it will be over before you no it. Then you get spoiled, come home and don't feel like fishing because it just isn't the same. Oh well beats a good day at work!

Later

George

We stayed up at Chamberlain Narrows. Check out their HSOforum. They have some cool pictures of the ice from the air and a shot of us going in. I'm in the first boat on the horizon, breaking ice.

Fishing Report -

Been going here for 15 years and although the fishing seemed slower than in the past, it still was pretty good. Caught many walleyes in the 24", 25" and 26" range. Our group also caught a few 28" and the largest was 29.5". My personal largest was just over 27". Caught some northern while walleye fishing with the biggest being 39".

We usually anchor and bump jigs with minnows. We bring up salted minnows and cut them in half. I tried the new Gulp Power Leeches but minnows seemed to work better.

Fished everywhere from Scaler Lake up to Jackfish Narrows. Scaler was good for numbers but the biggest was 26". North of Chamberlain Narrows towards Pecker Point seemed to produce the bigger fish. Never fished deeper than 13ft