• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boat floor

AaronM

Question

I am wanting to put a floor in my 16 foot kicker boat. Im lookin for a little help on bracing, floor covering, what kind of seats, ect. Any tips would be of a great help. Thanks.

fishinfrenzy

6 answers to this question

i have put a floor in my old 16ft. starcraft..i used 5/8`s plywood and just 1 2x4 right down the center...had to bevel it a little. it lasted 10 years with just rugular plywood...i just redid it a couple of weeks back but this time i used treated plywood...they have a marine grade plywood which im sure would be best...my boat sat out year round uncovered.indoor/outdoor carpeting is what i used ..i was able to reuse the carpet cause it was still good enough..hope this helps you a little.

------------------
Dan

i started from the back of the boat with an 8ft. sheet.. then i measured from the edge of that sheet up to the bow....then i made a line down the middle of the second sheet...then i went in the boat and started measuring the width it needed to be about every six inches...then i marked the second sheet and cut it with a jig saw.

------------------
Dan

Anyone else have any tips on how to put in compartments in under the floor, like say a livewell? Also what is the best type of floor covering to use? Thanks again for any help.

If you like carpet, Menards or Fleetfarm have marine carpet at a decent price.
Otherwise you can cover it with fiberglass and leave it easier to clean, but it's a tough job to have leveled even and add some grooves to make it not slippery.

You might want to check your fuel tank, while floor is out, they tend to go bad or leak. Livewells are tought to figure out, but if you want some, I have a variety of them, I can send pics.