• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where is everyone going this year?

Our group of four has been going up every year since 1978. The past 25 years we have flown out of the Sioux into the Cat River chain. We’ve spent time on Blackstone, Miniss, Zionz, Gull, Faucett, St. Joe and a few more that I’m sure I’ve forgotten.

This year we will be again going up in late summer and spending a week on St. Joe at Root bay. First time to Root Bay as I believe this is only the second year of the camp for the outfitter. We really enjoy going up in late fall however there are two problems. One is we have to wait all summer for the trip and two by the time it happens we know the summer is over.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

baitcaster-Thats pretty impressive. You must know the lake well and in turn the lake treats you well. Those stats are good. Good rates too.

BMC26-Hope your trip goes well for your first time and hopefully it can become an "annual event".

eglleftcoast-Cat river chain is a good system, no doubt. We have an outpost on Fawcett. Theres 2 on Fawcett and ours is just above Devils rapids (where Fawcett flows into Kezik). Alot of good water with Fawcett/Gull/Zionz all connected together. Your right, the Root Bay cabin on St. Joe is the 2nd year Slate Falls has owned it. We know Verne, he does an excellent job running the place. Hope your trip goes well. If you see a twin engine beech 18 flying over you on Root Bay this year, thats us. We fly over the west shore of Root Bay heading to our Wright lake outpost.

Possibly nowhere this year \:\( I have been going to lac suel with about 15 other guys for the last 12 years and just family for 16...man i hate having to take summer courses!! Definatly going to try to work it out with professors though...so hopefully I will get to go to walleye heaven this year.

I hit Lac Sue on June 1st - June 7th. Can't wait to hit the beach on Taylor and fish like mad!!!! Hopefully our water level is a little higher this year at that time.

Our group has been going to Canada for 19 years. Some of the lakes include: Berry, Thaddeus, Wabbigoon, Press & Eagle

This year will be our 4th trip to Press (north of Ignace), in September. Only 1 resort on the lake and has trophy Smallmouth, Pike & Walleye. Can't wait!

muc33-June 1 is right around the corner. Good luck on your trip. From what Ive seen and heard on this web site and other web sites Lac Suel should have decent water levels to start the year out. Sioux Lookout forcasts are getting more rain and snow for the next 4 day forcasts (30-60% each day depending on the day) which only helps the water levels.

Badger-After 19 years worth of trips, I bet you've got some great story's and memeorys of your trips built up. Hope this Sept proves yet another productive trip on Press for you.

L&M - I believe it's an north of Ignace...hard to get to (old logging road). I guess it's full of huge Lake Trout, Walleye, Pike & Smallies. We're thinking about a camping trip there, but we better do it soon (not getting any younger).

Badger-That could be, Im not too up to date on the area right around Ignace with full detail. Havent spent too much time around that area much, some but not alot. You should give it a shot and tackle some of those big fish. Or atleast see if what yur heard is right. The tougher it is to get to, odds are its got good fishing. Equals less people traveling there to fish.

Hey guys I was just think of A trip I had to decline to what the old timer called st. joes?... is this lake deep and to the west of dryden a couple few hours?? Good for lake trout? Wondering if someone can tell me about that lake and or how you may have done. Also any one been to the vermillion river, way to the north? might try to set up some plans to go up there. I can't wait to cross that border again soon. Once or twice a year just is not enough.

I've been to Kukukus many times. It is not easy to get to because of 25 miles of a bad road and the only access is on the north end and not very good. Small boats for sure. If you are up for an adventure and don't mind a few rock dents in your boat the lake is worth the effort to fish. Flayers Resort in Ignace has cache of boats on the south end for their guests, but you still have a 1/2 mile walk in carrying your gear. It is an excellent walleye and smallmouth lake. I have never heard of any lake trout in there. There are several camp sites on islands. Not a bad place to be do to all the bears in the area. My buddy had his camper trashed by a bear up on the north end. I've never been in the area when we have had to fend of the bears. We were in the area a few years ago and the MNR had lay waste to one because he was damaging vehicles at the Flayres parking area.

L&M it is North of Sandbar and Indian west of 599

youngie22-Mabey someone can chip in and assist me if I am incorrect. St Joe that I am aware of and know about, is actually called Lake St. Joe. Its alot further north than Dryden. Mabey theres another St. Joe that Im not familar with to the west of Dryden?? I fly over the west end atleast 1 time a week. Lake St. Joe is both a drive in and fly in lake. Its just south of Pickle Lake. Its a huge lake. On the road heading to Pickle Lake is its eastern shores where it can be accessed by road and theres a fly in outfitter who has a cabin centrally located on the lake and on the way west end (better known as Root Bay). The MNR manages this fishery on St. Joe by allowing so many people to fish there a season on a "tag" system. Only so many tags are allowed to fish the lake per season. Special tags are required to be on the lake. Im not sure if theres trout in the lake or not, St. Joe is noted for quaility walleye and northern fishing though. Not sure if this is the info your looking for but this is what I know.

possibly the same one, I will have to write the old guy a letter to get a update on things and see if he still has the energy to show some young guns how great it is above the north. Thanx for your quick info L&M! You sure have a big jar of knowledge it seems like. But do you have any info on the vermillion river way to the north of you at "the end of the road"? This is the trip that intrigued me most. Hey one more thing, any ice breakin movin from shore up on wabigoon or any other area lakes? Just wondering what its like in your world

Youngie22-No problem with the quick reply. With the ice still on the lake here on Wabigoon I dont have much really going on until ice out. Actually rather boring time of year in my opinion. Just waiting for the ice to go out, soon as that happens, get the docks ready, pick the planes up and start opening up camps. The ice on Wabigoon took a toll today. With lots of rain made it look alot darker. Rained hard this morning and then just a steady rain all day. Hard to tell exactly, my guess Wabigoon will go out end of next week. Could be wrong but thats my guess. I live on a large point, the north facing side the shoreline/ice is just starting to pull away, the south side has a creek that flows in so thats not a good judge as that little bay has no ice anylonger due to the current. I talked to my brother who lives on Off lake (just north of Emo) and a good section of Off lake went out and his guess the rest will follow tomarrow. That lake is always the first to go out in the area in terms of lakes. By May 1 most of the lakes should be out or very close to it unless you go north from here or the weather turns winter cold? Im ready for ice out to get the show on the road...

Vermillion River, thats not up my alley of knowledge. Cant help much on that one. Sorry.

If you have any other questions, dont hestitate, gladly help ya out.

I'm heading up for my fifth year at the end of June to SE Lac Seul. Lost Lake actually near Hudson. Same spots as a couple of the previous posters.

We stay at Lac Seul Resort and drive right past Lost Island Lodge every morning on our way to our hot spots.

Hope the info on here is correct and that the lake level is not going to be dropped this summer. We go on a 2-3 longer runs throughout the course of the week depending on weather. We head up to Taylor Island and Canoe Bay. The shortcut to Taylor (the Rags) would be impossible if the water was down even 5 ft much less 12.

Beautiful area and fantastic fishing. I love it.

Radke, Hope your trip this year goes well just like your 4 before. The water levels, I havent heard a thing since about that so Im pretty sure it was just a big rumor or scam going on. You should be fine.

I was just re reading my last post on this topic on April 24. Well, that topic of ice out for about May 1 and unless it turns winter cold out. The next day after I made that post we got a bunch of snow and colder weather. I didnt expect nor count on that. Ice out looks like its being prolonged past my predictions. Wabigoon here in Dryden still has plenty of ice and will be here for alittle bit longer.

Anybody else heading to Canada this year?

Will be heading up to Minaki, Ontario the end of July. Will be fishing the Winnepig river and area lake that are connected to the river.

Haven't been there in 2 years, am looking foward to going.

Hopefully the muskies will be turned on then!

we've been flyin out of Armstrong, Ontario just east of Lansdowne House now for years. The lakes are Deardon and portage LaVoie. Great nordern and walleye. I think it was in '02 they we got iced out and it wasn't til Tuesday that the outfitter told us we should plan on fishin on the 31 of may. There is absoluetly NOTHING like it up there. That week surely cleanses a man's soul.

Down deep we rented boats on Kukukus last year and are going up they on tuesday 6/17 bringing our own boats I got a map that shows a launch on the south end is this true? If not can you give me directions to the other launch? if you like you could send them to me at [email protected] thank you

Anybody have reports of how there trips have gone so far this season that shared to where they are going this year? Would like to hear how people have done on there vactions. Been a unusual season with the later than normal ice out, cool/damp/windy spring.