• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS Lake Maps

Hoyter

Question

I am interested in buying a lake map for Lake Osakis that has GPS mapping capabilities. Is anyone familiar with both the Reelbottom and the Custom GPS Lakemaps maps? Are there any significant differences between them? Recommendations? Also, I haven't found anything yet that says if Osakis is available in either package. Is it? Will the Garmin 12 be able to communicate with the packages on the PC for uploads/downloads? Thanks for your input.

5 answers to this question

Scoot,

This actually is one of the packages I referenced. Do I understand this package correctly? There are two files. One lake map very similar to the map available on the DNR HSOforum and a "GPS map" that overlays coordinates onto the lake map. If so, how accurate is it with respect to structure vs. GPS coordinates? What kind of depth separation to you get? I saw in the example there was 1-2' depth indications for Ottertail (I think) Lake. Is that typical of all lakes?

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Hi Hoyter,
you will be getting the best map available from the DNR (which the majority of map companies use), along with the most accurate GPS coordinates available with the Custom GPS Lakemaps.

Bear in mind that lake bottoms do change all the time and the map will only be as accurate as the DNR mapping process. That is true with ALL maps.

The GPS coordinates will be accurate with respect to the Shoreline at elevation during the time of mapping.

As for structure it will generally be somewhat close to right on, but the DNR maps have been known to be off by as much as 1/4 mile with respect to humps, and other structure in the lake.

It will most likely be the best that is available.

As the guy who makes the product says, it'll get you close enough to let your electronics find the very specific spot you're looking for. I like to think of it getting you to the spot and your graph getting you to the spot on the spot. Glad to hear you ordered through FishingMN.com- They'll make sure you get what you want and are satisfied with the product.
Scoot

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 08-02-2002).]