• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring 08 Open Water...

Originally Posted By: insurance guy
Just remember these simple rules of lure colors that the old timers use on Cayuga grin.gif Orange for salmon, blue for lakers and chartreuse for browns ;\)

Thanks man!! I'll let you know how we are doing. I heard you're going to the King for some more icefishing...

Quote:
Looking forward to getting out on Lake Ontario for sure. Everything is ready to go. I just ran the Lund for 20 minutes and she's purring like a baby! Look out Browns......

Robb, I'll call you soon, good luck this weekend everyone!

Steve

Me too! I got the Tracker ready yesterday! John can have all of those browns, I'm just in it for the fight!

Robb

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob,just let me know when you are headed to Oneida I will try to get you on some fish I might know a few spots whistle.gif.Sometimes its like the lottery out there.

John, I am glad to see you got off the KING safely if you get out this way let me know also maybe if we get enough boats out there we can round some fish up ;).

Where is Timmy is he in hideing Hi ho hi ho where are you confused.gif.

Robb,

Very sorry to hear about your buddy! I know that pain too well. In fact, my black lab is getting a bit lame at 12 and I'm dreading the day. I still have my favorite dog's ashes and many pictures. Still look at them both now and then. I wouldn't trade the pain though. The good times we shared were life altering for me. I'm a soft one for dogs. My son's dog was ill and I ended up putting up $4200 to save her. She's worth every penny! They were here today in fact. Guess that's another reason why I'm known as "the dog man". My heart goes out to you.

Originally Posted By: Fullmoon
Robb,

Very sorry to hear about your buddy! I know that pain too well. In fact, my black lab is getting a bit lame at 12 and I'm dreading the day. I still have my favorite dog's ashes and many pictures. Still look at them both now and then. I wouldn't trade the pain though. The good times we shared were life altering for me. I'm a soft one for dogs. My son's dog was ill and I ended up putting up $4200 to save her. She's worth every penny! They were here today in fact. Guess that's another reason why I'm known as "the dog man". My heart goes out to you.

Thanks Fullmoon!

Although it's only been a little less than a week the family is feeling much better. We would not have wanted Dakota to suffer more than he was and it was the right thing and time to do it.

I probably would have spent any amount if he were younger and that's great you did that for your son!

The fishing on Cayuga was great!! We boated about 15 fish, mostly salmon, 2 browns and 1 rainbow. We threw back all but 2 19" Landlocks for dinner.

Robb

Dad and I hit a creek for a bit this morning - slow. This creek isn't stocked yet but usually we can get some of last years browns. I hooked one real nice fish, fought it for a bit and was just about to beach it and she came off. Tank missed two and got one nice native brookie.

Heres a few picts...

p4070798pd3.jpg

Low angle shot...

p4070801lm1.jpg

Found this guy along side the creek. He had been picked clean like a plate full of wings put in front of Frankie...

p4070803mf3.jpg

Warmer fish filled days on the streams are a commin...

Got into some nice stockers today. I worked the lunch shift while Tank pounded 12-15 nice trout. I got out at 4 and picked up Beth for her first troutin. We got into a bunch and had a good time...

Heres some picts...

First trout

p4110810ax3.jpg

First on the flyrod...

p4110830ar1.jpg

Heres a neat sequence of picts she took...

Working a minnow in front of some downed trees...

p4110816pq9.jpg

There has to be one in that pocket!?

p4110817zb8.jpg

Yep, missed him! Rebait...

p4110818rs0.jpg

Got him, now what? Too big to dead lift over that tree...

p4110819xk8.jpg

Patiently walk him down around the tree...

p4110820ce6.jpg

As Timmy would say - "give em room Brodie"

p4110821op7.jpg

p4110822na7.jpg

Brownie...

p4110825az6.jpg

We kept a few and released a few, heres one that went back right at dark...

p4110833eq8.jpg

Macro...

p4110813og2.jpg

Off to PA for the opener in the morning for a few hours before work...

Nice shot's Jay and Beth, that brownie gave you a nice little run there Jay. Congratulations on getting your first fish on a fly rod Beth, awesome... You go girl...

Wow I can't believe I'm still up, can't wait to get out in the boat with Todd in a few hours, whahoo!

Jay you guys did better in an hour than we did fishing 11 hours today. Way to go!

Like I told you on the phone, water levels up and everything except for a few spot's in the canal were mucked up pretty good. Johnsons Bay name is now Swanson Bay because if you fished it this morning it wouldn't feed you today so you better stop off at the grocery store and pick-up a frozen Hungry Man entree grin.gif

The canal was pretty slow too unless you got to a small spot early while the sun was shining or wanted to jump in the boat 30 yards from us where some beer drinking bums were ripping sonars and catching walleye hand over fist, idiots...

I caught a couple as well on the perch rig that went back in the drink along with 6 decent perch. It wasn't our day but the weather cooperated in that we didn't get rained on hardly at all. I hope by next Saturday the water level will drop a bit and things will settle down. We got our bait at Charlies, 6 doz. buckeyes for lesss than $10. Bait could have been a factor but who knows, definitely would like to try some fatheads to see if there is much difference. Here are some pics I snapped of Todd and a couple of fish. The first ic is a grass rat that was my first fish of the open water season, great \:\/

1001162cl3.jpg

We released everything to fight another day..

Accidental walleye, got her back quick...

1001167zf1.jpg

Todd running da barge...

1001164gq9.jpg

Todd looking for the magic perch combo..

1001165ra7.jpg

Todd with one of a half dozen perch that were decent and some small ones that were caught and released as well...

1001166oo4.jpg

Good fishing with you Todd...

It wasn't a great day by any means but thats why they call it fishing confused.gif.The water levels have to come down a bit and we need some sun to warm the water up alot of the walleyes have gone up the creeks.They have a strong current to tackle to the spawning grounds. It should be a good opener this year for the eyes there are some quality fish in the lake again.

Chef,

Sorry I didn't call last night I passed out right after I talked to you the first time.Give me a call if you want to come out you will need to bring some minnows I only have a few dozen don't get them at the manor they blow.Hopefully this morning will be better than yesterday.

Today another search for some perchys and caught 24 perch 1 big crappie 5 waldos 2 smallmouth 1 at 19 and 1 at 21 1/2 what a pig cool.gif.I fished from 6am to 3.30pm caught allot of dink perch also all and all a decent day of fishing grin.gif.

Nice reports guys....

After talking to Timmy on Saturday and doing a lot of running and gunning I finally found some panfish, my first 50 sunfish were some of the biggest Sunfish I've ever seen in my life and it was great to get on them out of the boat and I"m glad I got them fast because the wind picked up big time and made some good rollers.

Tank and I headed south early this morning and got into a bunch of trout - about 30ish. Nobody around and the fish were active, mostly 10-14 inch rainbows. Dad got one brookie, I got a small brown, and he lost a real nice brown.

A nicer rainbow pushing 15 inches, released...

p4140856mk2.jpg

Soup de' jour for me was a black tungsten beadhead I tied...

p4140841he9.jpg

p4140842yn3.jpg

Tank working some small water...

p4140858ke4.jpg

Underwater Macro Release...

p4140848nr6.jpg