• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring 08 Open Water...

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The creeks around Oneida were very brown and high. There were a couple guys out trying their luck. Hopefully with the winds we had combined with the higher temps Oneida will open up.

I'll be watching for the post, reports and pictures! I'm hoping to get out and kill sometime in the next few days if it doesn't flood or just run too high and fast. I'm open to suggestions! I hope I get the chance to fish the open water with you guys! I had a blast this winter even though it was way too short for me. I'll be out in force next year, God willing. Life is stablized now, so I'm looking to get back into the swing of things and substitute for the ice fishing. Never did that much open water fishing but I enjoy it just the same. Remember, if you need anything, check with me and I'll see what I can do on a price.

Water, water everywhere, too much water everywhere! crazy.gif

Well we are back from our 3 county tour and the verdict is - lots of water. Things were not flooded out but definatly high and a little too colored up. A day or two and they will be nice. First creeek we hit for lake run rainbows was fishable but dark. We covered a bunch of water for an hour and a half and nothing. A few guys around and nothing except one guy saw someone with one nice rainbow. Headed to our favorite holdover creek and she was prety much unfishable. Checked out two more creeks on the way home and then were the same. One last stop in a puddle of a creek that holds some native brookies and dad connected with a very nice 14 incher. Big for a native and very big for the size of this creek...

Heres Tank all decked out at daybreak with nearly new waders and a new coat and vest from X-mas. cool.gif

p4010785pw3.jpg

This was the best looking water we found besides the tiny brookie creek, not good...

p4010786ve9.jpg

p4010787dm0.jpg

Tanks brookie, big but very pale compaired to some...

p4010788fb6.jpg

Still pretty...

p4010790ig9.jpg

Good report DC all the creeks and small streams a rageing around here also.Nice fish Tank I have never caught a brook trout before mostly browns and bows.The big O is melting fast It won't be long know whistle.gif.

Hello fellow OPEN WATER fisherman...can't believe it's over...but a GREAT ONE!

I fished out back this evening with Lily and my buddy Corey. The creek looke identical to the one in your pic DC. About 90% of it was unfishable, but a nice long cut underneath a pine slope with overhanging branches produced 2 Browns about 10 inches a piece. They wer pale natives that took the common worm ;\)

I don't trout fish much any more...HHHMMMMM...now I remember sleep.gif

Won't be long until Pannies from the boat grin.gif

Knock 'em DC and Tank...I love the pics of the stream and river fish you 2 catch. Feed us some more of those Chunky Trout cool.gif

Great first trout report DC! That's a darn nice upstate NY brookie dad's got there and he looks good all decked out in the trout gear grin.gif I'm gonna try to get out for a trout trip or two this month and then start after the stripers in the Hudson towards May when the run gets going. Looking forward to some more pics and I told Timmy today I was going to try and start busting out the camera more when open water comes and put some pics up again myself.

went to a local spot that gets an insane amount of pressure in April fished 6:15pm-7:00pm left as the heavy rain/lightning rolled in.

was lucky enough to get one bite and land it

nothing like icing a brown but still a nice 20" on Opening day I'm not complaining he's destined for the smoker just like the others from icefishing \:\)

DSC03009.jpg

Whoa king huge brown! Good luck on the King there insurance guy and tell Robb to stop messing with those pressure cracks crazy.gif I have to tell ya I got an email from Franky yesterday and late last week was awesome on Sandy (greene) they did get a few nice panfish through the ice but I imagine the ice is shot like everything now. Mohawk's at flood stage here until 11 p.m. be careful by the rivers guys.

Hopefully I'm headed for a big crack on Saturday & Sunday on Cayuga lake for some trout and salmon with Ozzy! We'll have to get out soon as well.

Un-fortunately today is an awful day as I have to put my dog down after 14+ years of loyalty cry.gifcry.gif.

Robb

Rob, sorry to here about your dog I have a Beagle with epilepsy he has had it since he was a pup he is 12+ now and I am going to miss him when he goes.Its a hard thing to do but its whats best for them, memories that you can cherish they are part of your family.Sorry Bro TODD

Nice looking Poochie...sorry about your loss.

Time to get another puppy to get your mind off of it. Though nothing will be the same, they all have their own little personalities, that's what makes dogs so special. My wifes mother has had to put 2 dogs and 1 cat down in the past year. She comes over and visits our Chocolate and Basset when she feels sad...it helps her!

Take care Robb!!!

Looking at your dog reminds me of mine several years ago. A fantastic golden that was in high demand for pheasant hunting in Nebraska. I released her ashes in one of our favorite hunting spots with two of her 4 legged hunting buddies along. Wouldn't you know it, her ashes blew right to where a group of pheasants were lying low. Got one for her. I haven't been able to replace her but am finally thinking about it after 9 years. Man's best friend . . .

Thanks again guys for all of your kind words. It really has helped.

Now on to the open water fishing! I just spent about $500 bucks on new gear! Ozzy and I are headed to Cayuga lake tomorrow morning for some salmon and lakers, anybody got any good early spring tips?

Maybe Lake Ontario with USMC130FE in a couple weeks... I also will need some help on Oneida when the season opens if you guys can point me in the right direction ;).

Robb

Robb - I asume you guys are fishing the south end or Tounghanock? And I asume you'd be flatlining stickbaits? Small in-line planers. Cover water and try and set up a pattern, points and creek mouths. Even the small piddle creeks will be flowing decent. Small narrow stickbaits - smelt...

Originally Posted By: Dark Cloud
Robb - I asume you guys are fishing the south end or Tounghanock? And I asume you'd be flatlining stickbaits? Small in-line planers. Cover water and try and set up a pattern, points and creek mouths. Even the small piddle creeks will be flowing decent. Small narrow stickbaits - smelt...

Exactly! Same as Lake Ontario tactics?

Thanks,

Robb

Looking forward to getting out on Lake Ontario for sure. Everything is ready to go. I just ran the Lund for 20 minutes and she's purring like a baby! Look out Browns......

Robb, I'll call you soon, good luck this weekend everyone!

Steve