• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Windshield problem

Tinkhamtown

I am having problems seeing through motorcycle windshield at night when headlights shine on it and also when I drive into a low sun.

Does anyone know how to remove hairline scratches from a Plexiglas motorcycle windshield? Thank you.

Just Ride

Tink

There are several products available to remove scratches, but I have heard that some windshields have a thin protective coating that the scratch remover can buff right through. The WebBikeWorld HSOforum lists several products. General aviation airport stores often carry products for cleaning small airplane windows that are very good also.

In order to avoid scratches that cause the visability problem, wipe the windshield with a vertical motion. Horizontal scratches are more likely to reflect light up into your eyes.

Adjust your windshield so you can see over the top of it. It will still deflect the wind up over you. Never clean or polish your windshield with anything but a soft cloth, never use paper towels. Never use glass cleaner! Try a good automotive wax. It might be enough to fill in or remove some of the scratches. Wax on, wax off. If you have bugs or whatever on it,soften it first by laying a wet cloth over it then clean it off. If a good plastic cleaner/polish doesn't work all you can do is replace it.

Took windshield off bike and removed the tool bag. Polished windshield three hours using Mequiars motorcycle plastic cleaner/polish it got the finer scratches out and the windshield is a lot better but I am still going to have to replace some time this year. Thanks for all the replys and help.

Just Ride

Tink

Originally Posted By: Alan
You should never be looking thru your windshield. You should be sitting just high enough to look right over the top.

How are you suppose to look over the windshield if your windshield is too tall such as on a Goldwing or other cruser bikes? What good is the windshield if you are not suppose to be looking through it?

hondarider550, Take a look at the new "airbender" windshields. If do a google search you should be able to find the manufacturer. I was able to look at one on an 1800 and really liked it. I would like one, but for the big bucks I think I'll just get a tulsa +2" for my new 1500.

The stock windshield on my 1500 Goldwing had adjusters for the height. Most aftermarket windshields come in various heights. If the windshield is properly adjusted you can look over the top of it. The air (and rain) will go up and over your head as you ride. You can adjust it so you can look through it if you like. I find it easier to see if I can look over the top of it.