• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

9.8 Mercury Water Pump

wastewaterguru

Question

Can anyone give me advice on how to take the lower unit off of a 1981 mercury 9.8 thunderbolt?? I took off all the bolts that look like they hold it on and can't get it off.

Need to replace the water pump. I have the impeller already. Is there more that needs to be replaced when doing this service? I fried it by running it out of the water when fixing the carburetor (see 9.8 mercury quandry topic).

I can't seem to find any diagrams or information on this repair on the web. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
I fish.....Therefore I grovel.

Here....Fisheeeeeeee!!

6 answers to this question

WWG,
I've got a Merc manual that should cover your model.(bought it at Twin City Outboard for ~$30......they've got muffs you can hook a hose to and cover the water intakes while working on your motor for $5 too.. wink.gif) You're welcome to borrow it if it will help at all, or I can try to find the pages that pertain your 9.8, scan them and send them to you. I live in NE Mpls, but I work in Bloomington and can bring it to work next week. Let me know if you're interested.
Chris

[This message has been edited by Twitter (edited 07-26-2002).]

Twitter,

Thanks.

I am going to at Twin Cities outboard and R&R today and see what kind of manuals they have. I want to get the thing done this weekend. Have you done a waterpump on a similar motor?

My biggest problem is I need an assembly drawing for the lower unit. I'll just buy a manual if they have them. Still cheaper than having someone else replace it for me.

I just didn't realize how fragile them frigging things are. I even have a set of the "muffs" in the garage. I just didn't think it would matter only running the thing for 20 seconds at a time.

Now I know........and knowing is half the battle.

------------------
I fish.....Therefore I grovel.

Here....Fisheeeeeeee!!

If you want I can send you a breakdown of all the parts for this motor, you'll be able to see how's bolted on.

I believe there is a bolt hidden right above prop, under cavitation plate.

Val

Hope I catch you in time, but you can go to most larger libraries and for free check out a manual on the mercury outboards. You only need about 2 pages to know what to do. This is what I do when I need to get into an outboard.