• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

9.8 Mercury Quandry

wastewaterguru

Question

I have a 9.8 Thunderbolt that is currently not in operating condition and I can't figure out what is wrong with it and thought I'd see what kind of ideas you guys could come up with if I list the symptoms.

Motor was operating fine until Saturday. Now, it will start on occasion but won't stay running. I kept it running for about 15 minutes Saturday by squeezing the priming bulb every 30 to 40 seconds when I could hear it bogging down. Then once the thing dies, it won't start again for a long time (hours).

I checked the tank vent and the fuel line.
I cleaned the carb. (removed it from the motor and cleaned it all.
I replaced the fuel screen.
Changed plugs.
Replaced the gas.

Someone mentioned it may be a bad reed valve. Anyone know where this would be on this motor. And what does a bad one look like? If it actually broke there should have been some noise or something as the pieces got chewed up by the motor, right?

What else should I check before giving up and paying 5 times what the thing is worth to get it fixed at the dealer?

------------------
I fish.....Therefore I grovel.

Here....Fisheeeeeeee!!

[This message has been edited by wastewaterguru (edited 07-24-2002).]

4 answers to this question

This reed that people talk about, is that the fuel pump?? That's whats wrong if you can keep it going by pumping the bulb! I had the fuel pump rebuilt on a 50hp merc. for $90.

This motor has an integral fuel pump as part of the carburetor. I replaced the rubber diaphragm and the gaskets when I cleaned the carburetor. There isn't any other parts of the "fuel pump" that can be replaced and it sure shouldn't cost $90. Pretty sure that the 9.8 carb. and fuel pump are a completely different animal that what you have on the 50.

I am going to take the carb off again tonight and check the main jet and inlet needle and make sure the float is adjusted properly. I'll post an update tomorrow.

------------------

Here....Fisheeeeeeee!!

OK.....so I am an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly. The carburetor was no problem. I used to race go-karts and the adjustments are the same. However, while fixing the carb, I was starting the motor for 20 seconds or so each time to check the adjustments and managed to fry the water pump...........I'll repost under another topic.

------------------

Here....Fisheeeeeeee!!