• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

converting 15" transom to 20"?

rodbuilder

Question

Hey all. I currently own a '67 Lund (recently restored) and am VERY tired of waves pounding over the transom (actually sank her last year because of this!). I am interested in buying a long shaft motor and building up the transom to fit the 20" shaft. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have heard that there is a kit one can buy through the boat dealerships but it looks like its just a bracket so the transom wouldn't actually be built up to prevent water intrusion. I have some ideas of how this can be done but was interested in other peoples pitfalls before beginning this endevour. Thanks for the info! Great site!

3 answers to this question

If you don't want to completely replace the transom. The easies solution would be to use one of the bolt on plates from Panther Marine to allow use of a long shaft motor and add a set of Wavewackers.

Rob

Rodbuilder, I have performed this surgery on my 1972 14' Lund ss. It really was not a bid deal (my perception). My Lund had a 5" drop on the back transom. I pulled off the aluminum cap and slipped out the spacer board. Copied the pattern of the board onto another board I made of glued and screwed marine plywood (doubled up 3/4"). Drop the new board back in and bolt it back in at the current bolt locations. The board will run flat across the back of your boat. Cap it of with aluminum. I used roof flashing. silicon and rivet the aluminum together so it is weather tight. The important structure to maintain is the triangle corner caps on top of the transom and gunnels.

I did this to my boat 12 years ago and its still strong as ever. I run a 25hp long shaft motor on it and I get alot less water coming in the back. Hope this helps!

I too own a 14 lund thats a short shaft. When you pull the transom cap off, I would suggest that you take it to a metal fabricator and have them use it for a templaet to build you a new one. lund doesn't carry one. I had this done to my cap last year because of all the cracks in it. It cost about $100.00. I had them use thicker gauge aluminum and the sides of the cap were a bit longer than usual. If you do this and tie it into your corners, it should hold just fine.