• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to buy new bike?

BigSwen

Hi guys!

I am looking forward to getting back on two wheels again. I haven't owned a bike for a few years now, my old one got soaked in the East Grand Forks Flood, and I had to drive my son for all these years to school etc... I used to be an MSF certified safety instructor, but got out of that when the state took it over.

My wife is interested in me getting one for us this spring, and have decided to get a Honda Gold Wing. (like you didn't know who made it! ha!) I checked them out a bit at our local dealer, but after doing a little research on the internet, I could certainly do better price wise, like $2500 less, if I went a little south and rode it home. If possible, I would rather get one in the Minnesota / North Dakota area instead.

Right now, I am looking at the one with the comfort/nav package as well as ABS. I don't really want an air bag, so no concern for that. Any opinions on whether ABS is worth the extra cost? I have been riding for over 30 years, so my braking skills are decent....does it add a lot more security in your opinion?

Bottom line, do you know any reputable dealers for Honda in the area? Both reasonable pricing and good service etc? Thanks a bunch for your help! I usually prowl the site for fishing information, but this forum looks to be a lot of fun!

Mark

You will increase your chances of survival while riding a motorcycle many times if you choose to ride one equipped with ABS.

Novices on ABS equipped bikes can easily outbreak an experienced, expert rider on the street. Buy ABS if you have the chance.

Do a search with your search engine of choice for:

vavryn braking study

to find out more.

Larsons in Cambridge usually is the lowest price but they will match anyone. Service for what little I have needed seemed very good. My Goldwing is a 99, bought new and came with ABS. As far as I know that has been standard for awhile. Any other questions feel free to e mail me. It's in my profile.

WS

I bought mine at Larsons in Cambridge also. They've been there a long time and are easy to deal with. Moon Motors in Monticello also has a good reputation. ABS is an option on the 1800 Gold Wing. It became available in 2001. It was not available prior to that on a Honda.

Thanks for the advice! Strange, but finding one with ABS is tougher than you think it would be. I put the deposit on the one without it. I am going to get it in Fargo, since it is still somewhat close to the northland and quite a bit better deal than up here in East Grand Forks! I am really looking forward to some clear roads! Let the melting go on!

Mark

Welcome to FM BigSwen.

I am also looking for something new as well. Im not really sure what i want to spend, i want to make sure i get something that i want. I have been looking at Wide Glide Harleys, but there just to much money, so im looking for something like that, but not a harley.

What does everything think?

Look at the Yamaha Star cruiser line. Big powerful, reliable, good running bikes for alot less than HD. Check out St. Boni Motorsports. I got my Roadstar(see the pic in "show off your ride" thread)from there and have been very happy with it.

Originally Posted By: Jex
Look at the Yamaha Star cruiser line. Big powerful, reliable, good running bikes for alot less than HD.

I use to think HD was the most expensive too. I learned that they are actually the cheapest if you plan on selling a few years down the road. I have had 3 harleys in my life and sold each of the first two for exactly what I paid for them,(stilll have the 3rd but am pretty sure I could sell it for close to what I paid) basicly used them for a couple years for free. Its more cost up front but once you get the first one paid for youre set.