• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum LX-3 IR?

Bob Horn

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bhorn,
Not sure where your from and what your purchase timeline is, but your welcome to meet me out anytime in the metro area this winter and try out the LX-3. Both of these units are of top quality and anyone trash talking either unit likely has some motivation to do so. MarCum is the new kid on the block, there will always be some resistance to change from the old stand-by.

I'll re-phrase what I said above. Your speaking of failry comparable IR systems - 10 levels vs. 6 I believe. As I stated, I don't expect you will have issues with interference on either unit. I fished many years with an FL-8 with very little trouble. One season with the LX-3 with no trouble.

If the units are used far enough apart(depending on depth) you wont need to use the IR on either unit. The IR button simply throws a "curve ball" into the signal ping tricking it into thinking its running on a different frequency and using a different pulse rate than the unit its getting interference from. The signal ping can get smart and and lock back into its original setting and thus cause interference again, it is this time you would select another IR level to fool the signal again.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
651-271-5459
www.millelacsguideservice.com

6 levels, 10 levels, it doesn't matter. What matters is when you are fishing in a house with an FL-18 and a LX-3 side by side the LX-3 will be able to tune out the FL-18 but the FL-18 will get A LOT of interference.

In fact, put a LX-3 in a house with 3 FL-18's and the 18's will not be able to fish, the LX-3 will not be affected.

I have tried it many times, and in several different scenarios and the bottom line is the LX-3 IR feature actually works! I can't say this for the FL-18.

Adjustable Zoom, very nice for suspsended fish. Last year fishing gills in 14 ft of water we used the adjustable zoom. It is a nice feature, not necessary, but neither is a bottom zoom. Very helpful on finicky fish! Not just for deep water, although the deep water features are really nice.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service

Scott - never tried that with that many flashers in the house just both units side by side. Agreed...My LX-3 rules for Interference Rejection, you never have to use it much I might have used it twice all last season. On my LX-3 push the IR button once and it's gone versus running through the gammit with my FL-18 to get stuff clear. More time fishing less time tweaking.
This has been a very informative discussion and we have contributed valuable information. Were proud of our units, we can't go ice fishing without them at least I can't. I hope all this information helps whomever is looking to upgrade there flasher units.

So, if I am in a fishhouse with 3 other guys and I am running a LX3 and the rest are running 18s, is it correct to say that the other 3 guys will not be able to use their 18s? Does this mean they are going to kick me out of the house and make me fish all by myself in the cold?

The 3 guys in the fishhouse using the Fl-18's together will have a hard enough time tuning each other out, if you throw a LX-3 in the mix, they will not be able use the FL-18's.

When I had a FL-18 on the bow of my Ranger and a LX-3 on the back of the boat, I couldn't use the FL-18 when the LX-3 in back was running. I couldn't tune out the LX-3. However, the LX-3 had no trouble tuning out the FL-18. Those transducers were 21 ft apart. I now run two LX-3's on my Ranger without any problem.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service

I would guess that the power output may come into play with interference as well. The LX-3 as Scott mentioned does not seem to pick up interference when fishing next to a Vex. The levels of IR don't tell the whole story. If that was the case, the 18 would have less interference than the LX-3 (6 levels vs. 10). The IR puts a distinct signature into the sonar, so that it can be picked back up again at the transducer (eliminating the chance of picking up any other signals). There is more to an advanced Interference Rejection system than how many levels of IR are available. The 6 levels of IR from MarCum could be much more effective than the 10 levels on the Vex. or vice versa.

LX-3 - 1500 Watts, 200 KHz freq.
FL-18 - 400 Watts, 200 KHz freq.

I'm just speculating, but the FL-18 would need to have a more sensitive transducer to pick up the lower power output signal (the LX-3 uses higher power and thus would drown out the Vex. signals most likely) . I would expect the lower output FL-18 to be a little more susceptible to interference in general.

If your really interested in the technology behind this, I'd call up Vex. and MarCum and ask to talk to an Engineer about IR. They should be able to tell you all you would ever want to know regarding this subject.

I wouldn't make a buy decision based on IR personally, unless you plan to fish in the same shack a lot with other flashers. Take a look at the feautres that each unit offers and make your decision based on that. Both are very high quality units.

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 11-24-2003).]

Both units are very nice and will help you catch fish.Before buying though you need to ask...How many guys have used both units?Out of those guys,how many will be using Marcums and how many will be using fl18?

I have used both and I am going with Marcum this year.I don't know all the sceince behind all of it but its easier to use and in my opinion it works better.
Before buying one or the other get out on the ice and check both of them out.That the best way to make a clear decision.
I am sure there are plenty of guys here to hook up with to go fishing that have one unit or the other.Maybee even both! smile.gif

------------------
Minnesota River Guided Fishing
"fishhead"
[email protected]
www.mnriverguidedfishing.com

That how I made my decision I listened to guys that had used both units. Particularly CNYTim and Scott. Since they have used both I thought that they were more educated than most. They were able to help me make an educated decision without having to buy both units myself. Last year I was looking at one and I was pretty sure I was going to by a fl18 since I love my Fl 8 that I currently was using but then after listening to all the comments it became clear to me the right now Marcum has a slight edge over vexilar. For those who say well I will never need to use the adjustible zoom how do you know you have never had the option before since no other product was able to do it. The units cost the exact same and the Marcum in my mind clearly has more flexiblity. I can zoom right on the bottom to pick up those walleyes hugging the bottom like you can with the FL 18 but then if something comes through suspended the zoom is useless on the FL 18 but not with the Marcum I just push the up and I can move into that area of the water column. For those who think walleyes never suspend I thought the same think till last year I started to catch a few at LOW that were suspended. I don't panfish a lot but I know that when I am chasing slabs it will be hand to have. I just thinks that since they are the same cost you might as well get the most bang for your buck. I was a die hard Vexilar user but I made the switch. Like others have said by having two units like this there should be some good competition between them which will benifit all of us. Vexilar is by no means out of this they will come back with a unit that has more features than the Marcum shortly so don't worry but it the mean time I going to be on the ice with the Marcum. Thanks again to CNYTim and Scott for letting use know the benefits and disadvantages of both units.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

It has now come down to who has the better IR. LOL In one corner Marcum Pro staffer and --- --- aka Marcum Man. In the other corner Vexilar Pro Staffer and hordes of Vexilar users. Which one is better for shark fishing? I'm sure it's the .....

What would winter be like without the great MarCum vs. Vex debate?

If at all possible, fish with both units before purchasing. I think you'll find the LX-3 to provide more features for your $. Both are mighty fine units for sure - it is truely great for us consumers to have the competition. MarCum has raised the bar with the LX-3.

Both units are great and will help you catch fish.

I happen to own a Marcum LX-3 which I paid 350 dollars for last year at Thorne Brothers. It is my opinion that for that price, the FL-18 doesn't hold a candle to it...

I couldn't be happier with its performance in the summer and winter months.

Just my 2 cents...

JWB

I've got the FL-18 and have caught plenty of suspended fish outside of the 6ft bottom zoom. I am trying to figure out why I would need the target seperation on the suspended fish? Should I scrap my FL-18 and buy an LX-3? I know it's a matter of preference! I'm going to have to take a close look. I've heard nothing but good things about LX-3 and I'm trying to find the cons, I haven't read any complaints yet!

iffwalleyes - I'm glad I could help and thank you for your comments. I got two more buddies that are upgrading... Rob is purchasing the MarCum LX-1 this year he's had an FL-8 for 8 years and he will be giving that to his son. Hendo is getting an LX-3 he's moving up from LCD.
Backwater Eddy - Any idea what an FL-8 reconditiong service will run Rob. It's really worn out definitely in need of a brush kit and clean-up. Thanks in advance.

JWB457 - "dosent hold a candle"??? Wow!

One thing people should think about when deciding between a new Marcum or a Vex is the thin line display on a Marcum is gonna be tougher on old eyes. The Vex's display is definatly brighter....

Timmy - You better guard your lx-3 this winter. I think it would make a good kickball....

Melon - The con's on the LX-3 that I have noticed and mind you they are minor.
Check your power switch knob, mine loosened up last season there is a small set screw on the bottom of the knob make sure that's tight I put a dot of super glue on it and retightened no problems after that...
I would like to see a little more variance in the color display, it's fine right now but a little more difference in spectrum would be easier on the eye like on my FL-18.
The last one is the softpack it could be made to draw back a little more than the original set-up allowing some one that is 6'1" to see the entire display without having to prop the front end of the unit up. This season I am going to cut it back about 1/2" on both sides and it should be fine.
I also found some new batteries on the web this weekend that are 12 volt 9 amp and very reasonably priced. The MarCum's 7 amp batteries are fine but why not have a little extra amp for extended use. There the same size weight and F1 terminals. I ordered one for the FL-18 and one for my LX-3. I will report how these compare for reliability and performance.

Absolutely be thankful for being able to compare the 2 top flashers. Without it technology gets stagnant and prices stay high. I don't know whats worse waiting for ice or waiting for my MarCum to arrive. smile.gif
When I do get it I'll certainly put it to the test. I consider reviews helpful but I look at the manufactures spec's along with my 25 years of experience using every type of sounder out there. I'll tell you why I own a Vex now. Its because any time there was a Vex around it would interfere with any one of my sounders rendering them useless. So I grudedly went with a Vex for that reason only. I've seen the technology rise in the sonar world and in my opinion a Vex flasher whether it be the Fl8, FLse or the Fl18 has a small technology gap from the earliest flashers. I feel its success is from being user friendly and very portable on the ice with a whole lot of good marketing.
I feel MarCum pulled way ahead in this game. Many of the reasons way have all ready been posted and discussed. My expectations of MarCum LX3 go beyond whats been talked about here. When I get the MarCum in my hands and on the ice I'll see if that proves true. I hope any catchup by Vex for their Flasher will mean a total revamp.

So, I have just been kicked out of the fish house by my so called friends because my Lx3 was scrambling their 18's and they couldn't tell the difference between a fish fart and a floating rock, not that I would be able to tell either. Anyway, now I am outside all by myself and freezing my butt off. I decide to move closer to shore hoping the tree line will provide some cover. I end up drilling some holes in a shallow bay area that has some weeds.

Here are some interesting facts to ponder while I ask my question.
facts:
1)The Lx3 is 3.5 times more powerful (1500 watts of power)
2)Vexilar (400 watts of power) has an S-cable which is suppose to suppress the power output which in turn allows the use of the unit in weedy and shallow conditions.

My question(s):
Will I be able to use my Marcum in shallow and weedy areas? Will the 1500 watts of power be a negative thing when fishing in these conditions? Why did Vexilar come out with the S-cable if it didn't matter?
Do I really know what I am asking? Ah,who knows anymore. help! grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Ya Hey Der (edited 11-25-2003).]