• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

help with a house

Gerd

Question

I'm looking to buy a portable ice house. Right now I'm leaning toward a tent style shelter (HT Deluxe Polar Shelter). It's got good size (6x6), it's very light and compact (which is good since I don't have a truck to haul a really large house out there), and it's cheaper ($100). My big concern is it's durability. Does anyone have any experience with such a house? I'm mostly worried about having the floor freeze to the ice and tearing when I try to pull it up. Also, is this house going to blow around easily? Any information, suggestions, or advice would be a great help and much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

9 answers to this question

The H-T shelters are not much more than a pop up tent. The blow around a lot, and the system used to keep the joints stable can freeze up and do break. I have only heard one good report on them and that was from a person who used it on remote lake trips. He had sufficient snow depth to dig down without hitting water to stabilize the tent. In the case of these shelters you get what you pay for.

Rob

Did you want a one or two man? I have a one man type ( a Husky sled/shack)that I bought for about $120 about a year ago. they're still about that price now. I'll get you the tel # or online site(< if they have one), if you are interested.

MnSportsman,
I'd prefer a two man, but I do fish alone more often than not. Usually, the other guy brings the house when I fish with someone, so if there's a big difference in price, I'd go with a one man. Where can I pick up one of these Husky sled shelters? Also, are they small enough to transport with a car? Thanks again.

If you can still find them, Trophy built what I believe to be a good sound shack, Ive got a 5x7 folds to 3 1/2'x 5'x 8" high,can be left setup while towing, they also made a 7x8 folds to 3.5x8, sure the wind makes them wobble a bit, never enough to bother me tho,Ive looked a bit while shopping and never saw one this year, cant believe they'd quit making them, good luck!

Gerd,
It would probably be a tough one to fit in a car.(maybe a full-size car trunk).Any way here's a page for the company that makes them. They're not on display at this page, but you can get an idea of the size of it. The company has it's address/phone/etc. at the bottom of the page. That's where I got mine. I like mine because it pulls behind a snowmobile w/all of my gear, but mostly because it was inexpensive, but tough. You'll have to call or email them about the "ice-fishing" option. Good luck with your search,regardless!

http://www.nordell.com/huskyhauler.html

------------------
Good Luck & Watch your bobber!
MnSportsman
Proud to be a member in good standing, of the
"Church of the Divine Wilderness"!
;)

It's made of a heavy rip-stop type material(Not sure of the name), With a window in the door. The sled part itself is a really tough plastic. I'm 6-0'" * can stand upright in it w/out any problem.It's kindof cramped felling, but with organization it does fine for the price.Has 2 holes in the floor w/removable covers. I've had mine a couple of years & am very happy with it. Check out their site & address a few posts up for more info.
(FYI>>>>I am only making "MY" opinion known regarding this product. I do not represent this company, or any policies they have. & do not make any income off of any purchases of their products.)

------------------
MnSportsman
;)

Adam Johnson-Forum Guide-Pro says....
For sale. 4 year old Fish Trap II. Still in good condition. $125.
http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000166.html

------------------
MnSportsman
;)