• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats on your Stay Safe List?

CrappieAttitude

While I was replying to the road rash post, my mind quickly drifted off to those times where I was faced with moments while riding that could have gone south pretty quick. I know that motorcycling in the mind of the non-rider is probably the most "dangerous" thing imaginable. I really get annoyed trying to convince people who don't like motorcycles that they can in fact be safe. In reality there are more car accidents in a year than motorcycle accidents. If you do things right I truly believe they can be one of the safest modes of transportation out there. I personally believe that I am a better driver in my car due to the fact that I ride motorcycles. Here is a list of some things that I feel are necessary to be a safe and effective rider.

1. Take the motorcycle safety class (If applying for a motorcycle license take the class whether you need to or not. There is a lot of great information in that class.)

2. When purchasing a motorcycle, make sure you get one that fits you. (not too big and not too small)

3. Purchase quality riding gear (Jacket, boots, gloves, Helmet)

4. Drive defensively (ride like nobody can see you)

5. LOOK AT EVERYTHING!!!(road debris, sand in corners, animals in ditches, cars coming towards you, merging traffic...)

6. Give yourself enough space (make sure that you have enough room if you should need to make a quick decision.

7. DON'T RIDE AT NIGHT (nothing good comes from riding at night)

8. Avoid riding in someones blind spot (if you need to pass someone, get around them quick, It is amazing how quickly you can disappear when you are next to a vehicle.) This is one thing I love about motorcycling, you never have to worry about not being able to get around someone if needed.

9. Have an escape plan (think ahead and try to prepare for those "what ifs", so you don't have to think on the fly.) Refer back to # 4-6

10. Ride responsibly (Don't drink and ride. Don't push the envelope on speed.)

Please add insights as you feel needed.

Good Riding!

CA

The easy one - your #10 - don't drink alcohol at all when on the bike. I know one might not put you over the limit or anything like that, but I found about 15 years ago that even a single beer made me crack the throttle a bit more, gave me a bit more courage and daring.

I like my beer \:\) but I do not drink AT ALL when on the bike now. Just not worth it, IMHO.

I'd say your #9 is the next one on my top two.

A little trick I have picked up over the years is that when any vehicle is on a path to connect with me, such as on my right or left and could pull out, I focus on thier wheels and not the car/vehicle.

It is easier to notice the wheels beginning to turn, indicating the vehicle is creeping forward, then to see the entire vehicle moving. I liken it to "picking a spot" in archery shooting. Focusing on the smaller movement/area just makes my brain work better. Just like when approaching/passing a vehicle, I look for the head/eye movement indicating they may change lanes rather then thier turn signal. Do they even INSTALL turn signals in cars anymore??? confused.gif

Transfers to all driving situations. Ditto on the riding a bike making me a better cage pilot.

I thought of another one. You pay license fees which entitle you to one entire lane. When riding alone try to stick to the middle. Often times the shoulder holds debris and as you approach the white line you may have encounters with things your bike wouldn't like. Also hugging the center line, can be very dangerous. The more you focus on the center of the lane, the more "outs" you have if something may happen/or suddenly appear in front of you.

I Typically stagger while riding in a group. but this is only so everyone can see everyone. When staggering, I would rather see people closer to the shoulder, than the center line.

CA

Hey CA, I totally know what you mean. But one ting I remember from the bike written test was that the middle of the lane is usually the slipperiest, due to thats where the oil from cars drip, and especially right when any rain starts, it gets even more slippery.

Box, totally in agreement in regards to the pavement in the center being slippery especially during wet days. I was more dealing with the "giving yourself room", and more of a cushion from oncoming traffic. Very good point.

Riding in the rain brings on a whole new set of safty tips. \:\/

CA

In addition to the rider safety class, I highly recommend taking the Defensive Riding Course from: http://www.ridingcourse.com/home.aspx

The course is held on the Dakota County Technical College road course so the only thing you have to worry about while riding is riding. Plus, you take the class on your own bike; I've seen everything from giant Goldwings to little 250 Ninjas with men and women riding either. The class is taught by several great riders with a lot of club racing experience who have been trained by top professional racers from around the country. You alternate class room sessions with track sessions to immediately apply what you've learned in the class room with quite a bit of one to one time with the instructor. The emphasis or theme for the class is on safety, learning, and fun. After you graduate the day long course you can return to spend the day riding around the track with other like minded people.

Originally Posted By: boilerguy
The 2 most important things you need are your eyes and your brain.

Always assume the other guy does not see you.

ditto.

I always assume the person is going to pull out in front of me. If there is someone facing me in the left turn lane I always assume they are going to pull in front of me. I many times let off the throttle and "cover" my brake. More then once I have flicked my high beam once or twice when I saw their wheels start to move and that woke them up and they stopped and I rode through the intersection just fine. Sometimes when stopped at a red light I notice someone coming up on me from behind rather fast. A couple of flashes of your brake light draws attention to you so they dont rear end you.