• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnkota trade value

Icemandu

Question

I have two trolling motors that I would like to know the general price of if I tried to trade or sell. The first is a bow mount Minnkota Maxxum. This one has 75 lbs of thrust. I am not sure on the shaft length, but it is fairly long, as it has no problems in choppy water. The second is a transom mount Minnkota Riptide. I beleive this one is somewhere around 70 lbs of thrust. They are set up as 24V trolling motors. I am looking at trading both of these for one trolling motor, either an autopilot, or foot control motor bow mount. Scheels, in Wisconsin, offered somehwere between $300 and $425 for both for trade in value, dependent upon what shape they were in (I just asked what they thought the trade in value would be). What do you think? What should I be looking to get if I sold these outright? Does anyone have good thingx to say about the Autopilots? Thanks.

4 answers to this question

Depending on the age, you should be able to get between $500 and $600 if you sell them yourself. You've got $1100 worth of motors there. Maxxum hand 74lbs thrust new $649, Riptide transom 74lbs thrust new $499.

These motors can't be that old since I think they just came out with the maxxum and riptide three years ago. This being the case I would take them into a Minn Kota service rep and have them gone through. I know the Maxxum carries a three year warranty, if it's a hand control and you have used it a lot the control disk in the handle probably could be replaced. Does it seem to not come on at different spots of the dial?? There is a round disk that controls the infinate speed after alot of use this becomes worn and your motor will not come on and run smooth through out the whole diameter. If you have the receipts or you regestered them, get them in and checked before the warranty runs out. This will be a major selling point for you!!

[This message has been edited by Fishin'Bemidji (edited 07-19-2002).]

Sorry for the confusion. There is no problems with the motors, I just haven't used the Riptide, and the Maxxum is controlled only by hand. I was looking at using the money gained from selling or trading these to get a foot-controlled Minnkota, or Minnkota Autopilot.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Icemandu