• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Welcome bikers

Eric Wettschreck

I made a tough decision a few years ago and sold my bike... small children and too small of a bike for my real liking. I did it as a project and sold it. I still go steal my dad's bike whenever I want he has a 82 flht.

I rebuilt and refabbed a 1981 1000cc Harley Sportster. It was a cool little iron head. I black wrinkled the jugs, put fat bobs on it, drop tail fender, and cafe racer front fender. Added 12 inch hangers and bags, painted it a few times and a few colors, settled on jet black finally. And then sold her.

I will again some day own my own bike, but it will be a big bike this time. And not a project. Probably a Road King. My whole family rides, my uncle has a great collection including a couple true classics he has redone, a beautiful Indian, and a amazing Motto Guzzi with side car. He and my aunt both ride he has a Road Glide and she has a Springer Softtail.

This is one of those forums that you wonder why they were not here from the start but now you will have to put up with my brothers. Hope they don't cause any trouble or ask too many lame questions grin.gif I really do think that as summer gets closer that it will become one of the hottest forums. I only wished I had a ride to talk about cry.gif

Hey everybody, This is great to have a motorcycle forum started here. I ride an 81 Goldwing, 86 Honda Magna 700f, and my wife drives an 84 Yamaha Virago. We both want a different ride this year so we will have to see if we can find something to fit the ticket.

We ride with a group of riders called Christian Motorcyclist Association (CMA). This group rides out of the Sheldon Iowa area but include riders from all over. If anybody is interested I can give you more information as we chat here.

I would love to meet up with other riders from the area and maybe do some rides or something during this summer.

Let's keep talking and see what happens...

Jim, 2 words.............get one. grin.gif

I thought about getting a bike for the Mrs, but she doesn't want one. She loves going on rides with me, on the back of the bike. That's just fine with me. We have had great times together on the bike.

I'll go as far to say that if you ride with a group, and you're having a ride type get together, let us all know. Just remember the guidelines, no links, etc.

Sure....start a motorcycle forum after I sell mine.

I rode an 03' Victory Vegas for the past few years but sold it last summer to pay some things off. We plan on having our first little one in the next year or so....and decided to not have the bike around when raising a little one. Some day another Victory will be in the garage.......

Greetings all!!

As one of the moderators of this forum I would like to introduce myself. I have owned a bike (or 3) for the last 30 plus years and my favorite arena is road racing/sportbikes although dual sport riding is my most current passion.

I currently own a Honda Nighthawk 650 that is my work in progress street bike! I built a Honda XR 650L 3 years ago, with the sole intention of riding it 3000 miles from Montana to Inuvik, NWT, approx 100 miles north of the Arctic Circle. WHAT a journey.

People thought I was nuts riding that far on a modified dirt bike, but what a versatile and trouble free ride. I will post some pics and some build tips if anyone is interested. That is my daily ride, and its the perfect bike for NW Montanas potholed 2 lanes and miles of gravel roads.

I am always on the lookout for early generation "superbikes" like Honda F models, Kawasaki GPz's and KZ's and Suzuki GS and GSXr models.

I tuned high performance sport/race bikes for 10+ years from the mid 80's to late nineties and still do my share of wrenching and tuning. I was a licensed road racer from 1985 to 1994. I also follow road racing, in the states and worldwide, passionately.

Lets talk about bikes, racing, aftermarket parts and mods. Following the usual rules of this site, NO flames, snubs, etc. Lets keep it civil, fun and helpfull!!

For me, it ain't about what you ride, it's THAT you ride!!!

Again, WELCOME Bikers!!!

I can hardly remember not having a bike. Started out with minibikes at a young age and moved up to small motorcycles (90 and 125cc) as soon as I could. I nearly got kicked out of the house when I bought my first "real" streetable one at age 17 (without permission). I had a friends dad sign for it until I turned 18 a few months later. I'm still puzzled as to why my dad was upset and also wonder if he actually thought I would just quit riding as I got older. I also drove my mom crazy as I would put my old 360 Yamaha through the gears on the back wheel. Its surprising that I made it through my young adulthood the way I rode. Thankfully I have settled down some with age. Many years and many cycles later I now ride a Kawasaki 1100. I still like some of the older stuff too, so I am always watching for just the right one to come along.

There were bikes in my life from the day I was born. My dad was huge in flat track racing in his younger years. He stopped racing when he started a family, but mom and dad have always had bikes. Dad is big in the Governors Motorcycle Safty Committee, Abate, MMRA, and prolly a ton of other groups I've never heard of. Good ole pops. The grumpiest nice guy you could ever meet. Many of you in the riding community may very well know him by his given nickname, which, I won't put on the forum as there is no way it will pass the word filter. grin.gif

I started out, like Macgyver, on a mini bike. Later on moved up to an IT 80, then 175, then YZ 250's and V-65 Magnas. I've been through my share of bikes, that's for sure. Now it's a 1100 Shadow Spirit that I'll most likely sell soon and upgrade to something bigger. I'm thinking Road King or Goldwing. Don't know yet.

I got a bike last spring. It was a bike I always wanted and it took a long time to find one locally in good shape. '83 Honda XL600R on/off road. My first cycle was a mini version, '83 XL80s that I had when I was younger and sold it to buy my first car....I have regreted that move.

Living in the country there's nothing like hitting the back roads, roaming endless dirt roads, and getting a little dirty whenever you feel like it. \:\)

mjhowe, that trip sounds like a blast...

Ive been rideing for three years now I started out on 83 Honda Nighthawk 650 nice bike, rode that for about 3 months than I bought and 05 Kawasaki Vulcun hated that bike gave me to many problems so now I'm rideing a 07 Yamaha V-Star 650 I mostly just use it for getting to work but once and while I will just go for a ride anywhere

Big Fish Hunter247

Now its official, no need to go to any other websites grin.gif

Like others hard to remember when I didnt have a ride. started in the 1st grade with a honda trail 90.. man wish I had that still. then had an early 70's AMF harley 125cc dirt bike, want that one back too \:\( then as a teenager had the Yami IT 175 remember the cool blue color of those? and a honda cr 250. damm near killed myself on that one, grew up a little and got a Honda XL 650 thumper for dual purpose. sold that then got a 1983 FLHT last year of the shovel, wasnt a good enough wrench to keep that so bought a 1999 BMW R1100rt, good all around bike but not great at any one thing and missed the cruiser style so went back to H.D

with my current ride, a soft tail heritage. Dont get near the miles in I wish I did during the season but plan on making up for it once the kids are grown. You guys notice a pattern developing with the longtime riders having started as just little ones....makes me glad I started all my boys young.

Originally Posted By: boilerguy
Hey everyone, welcome to the newest forum on FM!!!

What does everyone ride???

I ride a Honda Shadow Spirit.

OHHhhh BG your on my dream machine !!!!! well maybe not the dream machine, but the one I would want to be my first ! grin.gif

Thanks guys, been waiting for a cycle forum for people that ice fish, and ride during the summer. I myself have been riding for about 30 years, started on a honda 50, than a 90. Upgraded to a 500 shadow, to a cb750 custom. Decided that I needed a harley and bought a 91 softtail custom, and last year upgraded to a 07 harley, ultra classic. I will be looking forward to meeting other members and maybe hooking up for a weekend ride.

Kevin

Good to see the motorcycle forum, Just wish I had one to ride, always get the itch this time of year. Started riding when was like 6 yrs old. Should have never sold my bikes when got married and bought the house cry.gif saving my pennies for a new one though.

Another one here. I own a Shadow ACE. I’ve been riding now for about 11 years. I didn’t have an opportunity to learn on a “small bike” I started out riding my dad’s old bike, an 83 Goldwing interstate. Decided a few years ago I needed a cruiser instead. I don’t get to ride quite as much as I’d like but at least once a year my Dad and I take a trip on the bikes. Last year we rode down the Mississippi and cut across Illinois and rode back up Lake Michigan. The year before last we took the full trip around superior. I think everybody who has a bike needs to take that trip. Looking forward to any get-togethers.

Hey kb1965 I sure hope the 1965 in your name isnt your date of birth, if it is im going to have to give you a hard time about being too young for an old mans "geezer glide" ;)(really jealous)

what does your seat of the pants dyno tell you about the 96 inch? a pretty good upgrade from the 80? ./...maybe just lie and say you cant tell any grin.gif.........man I want one of those cry.gif

Hunting buddies started me on an old Yammie 80 dirtbike back in the mid 70's. Then I got up to their 100 Yammie dual. Then my Dad put the brakes to the bikes, but he ended up letting me get a Kawi Trail 75, the one with goofy bars and tiny wheels! ha! It was a blast though, as I grew up and rode it right on the East Sdie of St. Paul! Got in trouble a few times on it.

Then I had nothing until done with school, and I got an 82 Virago 750 in about 1990. Hated that stupid Yammie starter, and to this day I just can't bring myself to look at Yammies, though that is silly I know...

I know have a '94 Magna that I got new in '95. Don't ride that much anymore, as I spend time at cabin and fishing more. But I love that bike! I will never sell it. I even go and make some burnouts in the garage in the winter now and then, to make me think of summer, ha! Remember the v65 Magna commercial where the bike shoots out of the cloud of smoke on the dragstrip?!? That is what made me love the Magna line, and why I got the one I did. V65 Magna and the V-Max, those are cool bikes to me!

Next one will be a Honda or Kawi dual purpose for at the cabin, to go to town or hit some trails or loggin roads.

My wife wavers on getting a bike of her own, I almost bought her a Sporty a few years ago, but I told her she needs to learn on mine first - heck seat height is only 26".... maybe someday I can take the sissy bar back off \:\)

Great fourm addition!

Hey Guru,

Have you had any electrical issues with the NightHawk? My '82 is just giving me fits...wont keep a battery charged. I have tried a new stator/alternator, a new Reg/rec...all the connections are good etc. I hate elctrics, my weakest strength in MC mechanics.

I do like that NightHawk, tho, always have. The overall profile and lines of the bike are nice, and I am a hardcore sportbike guy! I bought mine for $300, rode it home. I have rebuilt the entire front brake system, gave it a nice rattle can black paint job. The pipes were perfect but I had to recover the seat.

This spring I will figure out the elctric issues, adjust the valves, redo the carbs and put another 15000 miles on it!

I have either owned or own many of the bikes listed so far. Those old Yamaha IT', and XT's were some of the funnest, but I go back to Ossa's, Maico's, Husqvarna's and HODAKA"S!!! Anyone remember the "Combat Wombat"s and the "Dirt Squirt"s??? Oh to have a couple of those restored laying around the house!!! (Like my old '65 GTO...)