• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cycle, not stroke

Question

Why do folks persist in making references to "two stroke" motors?

Ever since the four-strokes made the scene, we get talk of "two-stroke."

14 answers to this question

My but that's a thoughtful and illuminating response.

Incidentally, where does one find "pro crappies," and how does one go about guiding them?

Clayton, I am guilty of saying "two Stroke" just because I don't know anything about motors. Would you mind explaining what a 2 cycle is and how it works compared to a 4 stroke. Like I said, I just fish, I no nothing about motors. Thanks ScottS

It is inevitable that every person on this board will at some point in time be given some $h!t.

So thank you Clayton, and good fishing!

PCG

4 stroke....
a. piston moves down and the cylinder fills with fuel from the intake valve(s).
b. piston moves up and compresses the fuel.
c. plug fires and piston moves down.
d. piston moves up exhausting the spent fuel through the exhaust vavle(s).

2 stroke.....
a. piston moves down and gets fuel when the cylinder clears the intake port.
b. piston moves up sealing the intake port and compresses the fuel.
c. plug fires and piston moves down until the cylinder passes the exhaust ports. The compressed gasses escape and fuel is reintroduced into the cylinder.

In summary, two stroke means you get one up stroke and one down stroke of the piston per rotation of the crankshaft. A two cylinder engine at 1000 rpm (at the crankshaft) is firing each piston at 1000 times per minute.

A four stroke has an intake stroke and an exhaust stroke seperated by the use of valves instead of ports. A two cylinder four stroke fires each cylinder only 500 times per minute to achieve a 1000 rpm crankshaft speed.

------------------
I fish.....Therefore I grovel.

Here....Fisheeeeeeee!!

Thanks Wastewater, that is all I was looking for. Makes sense to me now.

And KING, thanks for clearing that up...I am sure that is the last time I will make that mistake!!ScottS

Sometimes I motor across the lake, using my engine. When I fish for crappies, I most certainly only catch amateurs. Sometimes my depth finder is hard to read. Wish it always gave me an illuminating response. Too much beer in my intake port and I’m soon using my exhaust valve. Too much deer sausage, and I’m using my exhaust port. When I was younger, was multiple stroke, multiple cycled engined guy. Now, by definition, more of a motored guy. And lately, the walleyes have been giving me $h!t.