Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
minneman

computer question

Ok all you pc guru's heres my dilema. sorry this isnt really fishing related, but hey I wouldnt be here without one.
I purchased a ibm aptiva in 98, Pent 3, 450, after a month of ownership I stumbled into systems propertys, and under the general tab it gives all the units stats, so it should say pentium 3 right? wrong, its pent 2. so I imediatly called best buy to see what the deal was, they said at that time that the (3) was so new they hadnt changed the (whatever) to be read by windows to say (3) so in essence a typo, so I blew it off.
So last week in a thunderstorm my modem blew and the next day the system board burned a 2"x4" spot in itself, I had bought a 3yr service plan that was about to expire but got it fixed, in the mean time while the tech was here to fix the pc I asked him to tell me if he thought what I had was a pentium (3), he said it was either 1 or 2 but not a 3. a number on the processer read 450/512/100/2.0v (MHz/cache/bus/??)
I called bestbuy and since they dont package the units then Ibm would be the responsible party and BB would have no part in this since they no longer handle ibm.
I called ibm and talked to a nobody who basicly said that its a typo, so are they covering up something?? fraud??

What do you suggest? what would you do??
Kinda makes you wonder whats in your box eh?
thanks Ted

[This message has been edited by minneman (edited 07-17-2002).]

Can you get the technican that fixed your PC to write a letter to you that you can forward to the appropriate channels at IBM? Sounds like you were screwed in the beginning and they are trying to screw you again, by giving you the run around. Unfortunately, since BB seems to be out of the picture it is going to be tough. I think you may still want to pursue BB. They sold you the unit and they should be responsible for selling you what your paying for. What speed processor did you think you were buying? Is it the wrong speed too? Even though they don't carry it, as long as you have a receipt of purchase they may still be the responsible party, or may be able to help you in what direction to pursue things with IBM. No matter what it seems like you might be in for a tough fight.

Good Luck non the less

I had a similar problem with Best Buy. I went in and purchased a modem and had it installed. Computer was really acting up so took it someplace else to be checked. They said that the modem in the computer was not what the box from Best Buy said it was and was two levels below what I had paid for. I worked retail for years so I kind of know that if you go in with a smile you can get a lot more done. So I went in on a Saturday and there was a long line. I was very polite and told the lady the problem of course she had to find a manager. Well, they started really giving me the run around until I had had enough. Finally she says that they will credit my credit card for the modem but I have to pay them for the free software that came with it for some stupid programs that I had not even installed that had nothing to do with the modem. This came to $125.00! So I basically told her that I was going to get very loud in front of a lot of people right this minute if this was not taken off my credit card NOW! She looked at the manager and they looked at the line of people and asked for my credit card. When it was all done I told the girl that I was sorry to have to make such a fuss and I knew tthis was not her fault and I hoped she had a good day. She said thank you and went on to face the next customer. Heck - I even smiled at the manager! grin.gif

------------------
Phyl

Well I don't know if I should tell you this but I work for Best Buy at there Corporate HQ. I work in the IS dept. If those are the numbers off of your processor then you have a Pentium II. The smallest PIII that I know of is 500mhz. If you go to Intel's web site they say 650mhz is the smallest. The 2.0V is the amount of voltage the processor uses. I don't know anything about the retail part at Best Buy but it sound like there was a mistake somewhere. Do you still have the box for the PC? It should have the SN# on it, see if it matches up with the SN# on the PC. There could of been a mixup. I would see if Best Buy could help you getting this resolved with IBM. Good Luck!!

My son bought a computer from BB last fall with a service plan. About 4 months later, his printer quit so he took it back only to get the "oh that's not covered under your service plan" routine. He told them it was rediculous to sell a service plan that didn't cover the piece of the package most likely to have problems and that he wasn't leaving without a new printer. When the manager saw he was serious about not leaving they gave him a new printer. I wouldn't buy another computer at BB or another IBM computer (I live 8 mi from a Big Blue plant).
I also bought an Aptiva and had lots of problems. My son built a new computer with parts he ordered from a mail order house and we haven't had any problems AND we can update it - unlike the Aptiva.

There was a 450 MHz PIII. It was one of the two first PIIIs released, codenamed "Katmai". Problem is, they weren't released until February 28, 1999. There were no PIII processors before that, so if you bought the computer in 98, it's a Pentium II. IBM's Aptiva line was not exactly cutting edge technology, taking over where the Packard Bells left off, and wouldn't have the latest and greatest technology in any case. The PIII 450 was built on the PII 450 core and used the same packaging. The only practical difference was an additional set of instructions that made 3D games run 10-15% faster.
Best buy can be a good place to find electronic equipment, but it's a GREAT place to end up with an obsolete piece of junk. If you're going to buy something there, know everything you can about it before you go in. If you aren't absolutely sure you know what you're buying, walk out and do some more research. The salespeople are not trained to be tech experts, although some of them have been at it long enough that they "talk the talk" pretty well. As with any of the Meg-ConglomoMart stores, let the buyer beware.

Thanks all for your responses!

I did a search on intels web site and found a tool to download that tells you the stats on your pc and it comes back as pIII 450, so I guess i do have one ...I think, mabey the repair dude knows too little, and I was a bit Irate, none theless I will go elseware for the next pc I purchace. however I will say that the in my house service plan was worth it in the end they were very prompt and wanted to make me happy, only a day wait for parts etc, it realy suprized me!! Thanks again people!!

Scubohuntr is right, Intel manufactured a Pentium III at 450mhz, the difference was also the cache installed on processor and different set of instructions.

If you look at the top of the Black cartridge it will say Pentium /// very clearly, right before the numbers 450/512/100 etc.

IBM used them, Monorail, Compaq and few other brands, then everything went to 500mhz. and up.

Val