• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transom savers

AnglerJake

Question

I am planning to pull my boat from Indiana to NE Minnesota. I have a 14' boat with a 25 hp short shaft Yamaha. My boat does not have a transom saver. Any opinions on whether I should just leave motor in down position without a transom saver, or should I invest in one? Thanks!

6 answers to this question

They are nice to have, as far as a 25hp I don't know if you would need one. That 25 hp is quite light compared to a 75hp, what your worried about is the bouncing motion weakening your transom. If money isn't an issue, put one on. Get the cheapest you can find since you're only talking about a 25hp. If you decide to go without, I'd STRAP the motor in the down position.

I have a 91 Starcraft 17' boat with a 125 outboard on the back (2 stroke, if it matters...)

Starcraft, or at least the dealer, recommended traveling with the motor all the way up (nearly horizontal) and locked. From what I gather from this thread, that is hard on the transom.

However, I have also heard that transom savers are hard on the lower unit....

Does anyone know which is better? Or if either is really true?

I don't like the idea of traveling with the motor in a horizontal position as that allows fuel to drain from the carbs. But it does change the center of gravity. I've got a transom saver for my 14 footer and 25 evinrude. It takes a lot of stress off the transom even tho the motor only weighs 115lbs. If positioned correctly, it will not hurt the lower unit. Just pay attention to what you're doing. If you don't want the saver and you have enough ground clearance, just lock the motor in the down position.

There are some models with a spring inside shaft which will absorb most of the hard impacts. If you mount it on same section where lower unit bolts onto center section, you shouldn't have any problem. I would never take a trip like yours without it. Also I know many people that had to replace Tilt & Trim seals and other parts from traveling with motor always lifted and "banging" on cylinders.

It's kinda like Visa.....don't leave home without it wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 07-20-2002).]

i would not travel with the motor in a locked horizontal pos. on any motor. a saver sure wouldn't hurt it. if you don't go with one i would use a tarp strap across it to control bounching while you travel. del