• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Making snell lines for walleyes.

Question

I have been making some snells for walleye fishing and was wondering what size, kind, and color of hook is the best to use?
I have been using a size 4 bronze octopus hook, and was wondering if i should start using red or different colored hooks, would they increase my catch rate?
And also what color combination of beads and/or floats has worked best to catch fish? And what size bead do you like best?
Any replies would be nice.
------------------
Eat, Sleep, and FISH all day!

[This message has been edited by big-hog_hunter (edited 07-15-2002).]

5 answers to this question

I like to use both red and green hooks, I am sure they increase catch rates. I also will use red and glow beads, red with crawlers and minnows and glow with leeches.

I use black Ganakatsu Split Shot hooks. Size 4 or 2 depending on the size of bait. I used to use red hooks but they attracted too many perch and bluegill. If I want it to float, I'll put a yellow or charteuse colored floater after the hook.

Gamakatsu makes some excellent colored octopus hooks. I use all colors although color is the most over rated thing in walleye fishing. The theory in the use of colored hooks is similar to using colored jigs, an extra added attractant. A fish does not know what a hook is so don't ever worry about a fish being "spooked" by the hook.

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND